Kimi to Boku no Saigo no Senjou, Aruiwa Sekai ga Hajimaru Seisen

• キミと僕の最後の戦場、あるいは世界が始まる聖戦

Publisher: Fujimi Fantasia Bunko
    First release: May 20th, 2017
    Author: Kei Sazane
    Illustrator: Ao Nekonabe
    Genre/s: Fantasy, Action, Romance, Supernatural

Premise: The Empire endowed with an advanced level of knowledge, and the Nebulis Imperial Household Agency feared as the ‘Country of Witches.’ On the long lasting battlefield between these two countries, a boy and girl met. The swordsman who became the ultimate force on the battlefield at the youngest age throughout all the Empire’s history―Iska. The ice witch princess praised as the strongest in all of the Imperial Household Agency―Aliceliese.

“If you capture me, your dream may also be fulfilled.”
    “Likewise, if you defeat me, it will become a step in the unification of your world.”

The two arch enemies were to kill each other. However, the boy had his heart stolen by the girl’s beauty and nobility. And the girl was attracted to the boy’s strength and way of living. Even if walking alongside one another would not be permitted and the only path before them was to defeat each other.

From mangaupdates

Commentary: Coming from the author of several well-known titles in Japan such as Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai (黄昏色の詠使い), Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden (氷結鏡界のエデン), Imperfect Divine Arms Ilis (不完全神性機関イリス), S.I.R.E.N. (S.I.R.E.N.), Sekai no Owari no Encore (世界の終わりの世界録) and is also writing this series in conjunction with his other new series Naze Boku no Sekai wo Daremo Oboete Inai no ka?, is Kei Sazane with this new series.

A lot of people are reminded of Romeo and Juliet after reading the premise, and I wouldn't fault them. Two starcrossed lovers - but that's where the comparison ends. Iska and Aliceliese do not start off suddenly smitten with each other but are instead driven by their smoldering rivalry, which other characters or even themselves misconstrue into romantic interest.

The comedy is plentiful and abundant between the characters, brought about not by the prevalent boke-tsukkomi routine of comedy in most LNs but by their actual interactions giving way to abundant ribbing or misunderstandings. The action is pretty good with Iska and Aliceliese having to work to earn their victory despite the praises heaped on their strength or skill level.

And as with every Kei Sazane level, the worldbuilding plays an important part in the plot, the mystery involved and the ongoing conflict at large. His frequent use of foreshadowing is also present, as usual hinting at a world larger than what was initially featured and a conflict bigger than what the main characters initially perceive.

What makes a Kei Sazane work fun to read is still present in this series, and if you're looking for a fun romp that doesn't overly make use of contemporary tropes, a fantastical world waiting to be explored and characters you'd just want to sit down and have a good time with while looking for that romcom approach, I'd highly suggest this one.

• @hemsicle I actually am very interested in this one. Got my upvote.