For US fans, Crunchyroll announces the Super Fan Pack, which gives access to CR, VRV, aniutaUS, Utomik, MunchPakSnacks, J-Novel Club, and discounts from Rightstuf!

Source: https://twitter.com/TheGeeklyGrind/status/1036702220006318080
    Seems to cost $15 a month.
    I might get it myself, as I use CR, Vrv, Rightstuf, and JNC.
    Do we have a launch date, Sam?

• Premium Member

Wait, you get a JNC subscription with that? Just a basic sub? (Goes to read more on it)

I might still swap if I can still use my current premium creds on a regular sub...

@terrence Yea I'm pretty sure it's just a regular membership.

• Premium Member

Sounds like it's not coming until Quarter 4. I'll definitely ponder getting it though. Hopefully it'll be easy to switch to that plan.

• Premium Member

Crunchyroll doesn't ever get another cent of my money... I'll continue to support J-Novel Club directly.

• @jason-maranto
    I'm with you. CR deserves to shut down considering how shitty they treat their user-base.

• Premium Member

@aruseus493 yup, canceled last week (though I'm prepaid til February)

• Premium Member

@seltzermx yeah same. Once mine runs out I'm just getting back on the boat.

Although I can't say the super pack has much value in-of itself for me for me anyways. I think I'd actually be spending more money overall if I bought the pack (including if I theoretically renewed my CR sub lol)

• Premium Member

Honestly, I feel that it's more for bringing more VRV/Crunchyroll subs to j-novel rather than us going to Crunchyroll. No offense, but it's hard for me to see anyone in light novels without having some passing knowledge of manga and anime purveyors where I don't think the converse is true (quite a number of anime and manga fans don't necessarily realize the extent of light novels as a medium if they know it at all).

There's two things:

1. Good for the VRV fans, it makes for the nice bundle for the standard membership.
    2. It'll be a change in dynamics from what was before, so @Rahul-Balaggan and the mods are going to have a more "fun" time with some of the Crunchyroll and VRV new subscribers.

I just hope that we're not paying to subsidize this group (as in, they pay their fair share and j-novel is not taking a licensing loss on having this). As I've said earlier though, I'm not interested in resubscribing to Crunchyroll at this juncture, I feel that they have not focused enough on the execution of the apps or the video quality.

If the offer though extends to Premium, then I may pick it up for Funimation alone. I'm a bit nervous still though with the crossover subscribers and their impact on the community and j-novel's bottom line. Please let j-novel at least break even on this proposition.

Edit:
    Oh wow, I have separate subscriptions to Utomik and AniutaUS...That's going to significantly change my attitude when this and my AniutaUS subscription end in December. Combining those two alone would more than the price of the SuperFan, so yeah, I would be giving Crunchyroll money by default. I give up, hail capitalism...

• I kinda want this with the premium status for JNC I’d pay 20$ if the JNc membership from the bundle was premium.

• Premium Member

Pay a JNC Extra Premium fee and get Crunchy Roll and Netflix bundled with it. Because JNC is an international multimedia powerhouse. That's the dream!

• Premium Member

Last 3 times i had crunchyroll sub i had it for just one series. Not wasting anymore money on them, not enough anime I want to watch.
    Only 2 things I'd want to get out of the pack is acess to JNC, which I have, and Rooster Teeth content through VRV, which I get through my RTFirst membership.
    I don't even know who the heck the other subs are and don't see enough on RightStuf that I'm interested in ordering.

Just found out Geek and Sundry releases content on VRV. Still would rather give the money direct to G&S's Twitch channel.

• Premium Member

To me, I don't think we are the target audience for this thing. It's more for the people that currently don't read and just give a look cause it came with the subscription.

As much as i dislike CR, if this gets more people into reading LNs, and therefore JNC having more funds and pushing power to get licences, I'm not going to complain.

• Premium Member

If CR wasn't part of it, I would definitely get it, but... I'm not a fan of CR.

I do hope JNC isn't getting the short end here though. Based on the price, I wonder if JNC is primarily gaining advertisement here.

Sam just confirmed on Twitter that users of the Fun Pack won’t be able to upgrade to premium, but can still purchase credits.

• Premium Member

I don’t get the CR hate. They’re incredibly cheap and have an incredibly deep library. Yes their online player needs to be updated and sometimes the subs are rough but they’re a lot better than many fan subs were.

• Premium Member

I don't get the hate either.

• Premium Member

@myskaros @the-green-death For some of us who were long-term subscribers (back when Crunchyroll was basically a pirate site), we've been with them on a journey where things got better and better, then Ellation and someone else came in, bought them up, and then worried about growth over service (and even profitability). My gripe with them has always stemmed from the decrease in quality of their video products from excellent to somewhat unreliable. If I lived on the West Coast, this isn't a problem, but the nearest hub is Chicago, and where I live in Minneapolis, there's service disruption. I definitely remember the pre-venture capital Crunchyroll from the post-VC version. If I could pay more for a good connection, I have no hesitation in doing so, but not like what it has been for the past two years.

@the-green-death not to mention most “fan subs” out there are literally just ripped straight from CR. I can respect a ligitimate fan sub, but I find it incredibly scummy to just steal from an official localization.

• Premium Member

@alocervancouver I'll echo the shift in priorities. I discussed this with @myskaros on discord, but I did not approve of that new non-anime anomation series they're funding and that's why I cancelled. I subscribed to for them to spend my money on anime licenses and improvements to their streaming infrastructure. They didn't get great series like violet evergarden, made in abyss, kakegurui, etc, and they're not making tech improvements. Hence me cancelling my subscription.