Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.

• Hello there! I'm not really that much of a fan of fantasy LNs, or the fantasy genre in general (though I have come across some neat stories in the past). After reading titles like Sword Art Online and Black Bullet, I can't help but have some sort of craving for more sci-fi stories. Now, just to make a few things clear:

*I'm looking for sci-fi focused titles.
    *In the case where sth appears to be 'fantasy' or occultic at a glance but actually has sci-fi elements and 'explanations' to it, that's fine as long as in the end it's not strictly a magical fantasy or occult title in the end. Almost as if there's a 'science' that can be defined to a degree.
    *Feel free to recommend me LNs that've yet to be translated.
    *Even though I like and have mentioned SAO, I'm not really interested in the 'trapped-in-a-RPG-style-game' stories. I'm cool if it has to do with virtual reality, but I'm not in the mood for this specific kind of setting.
    *Not into stories that mix magic+sci-fi together, or treat them separately. (ex: Railgun is fine, but in this case Index isn't)
    *I'm a sucker for things like androids, cyborgs, genetic engineering, clones, ESP (the sci-fi kind)etc.
    *I also happen to like stories that give or spread focus to other characters, almost as if they were 'main characters' in their own right. Multiple POVs is cool, but if it doesn't that's fine.

Thank you in advance! :)

• Oh and just so you know, the list I gave was just to give you an idea of my preferences. At the same time, your suggestions don't need to strictly follow this list 100%. I'm pretty open to trying out new things related to sci-fi.

• Translators

If you're looking for a series with sci-fi elements told from multiple POVs, you can't go wrong with Kouhei Kadono's Boogiepop series.
    Seven Seas put out four volumes back in the day, but there's considerably more than that if you can read Japanese.

Most of the volumes work as stand alone stories and Kadono is great at creating distinct characters, so I highly recommend them.

• Premium Member

I haven't read it, but Mardock Scramble looks really good. I saw some of the images from the manga, then found out it had a novel release stateside. I haven't looked into the story much, but it's a trilogy packed into one book (700+ pages), I believe hard sci fi, and it's up on stores where Ebooks are sold. That sounds perfect for you. =)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8376686-mardock-scramble

Hmm, I don't know if Baccano would count as SF in your definition, but it involves immortality through an alchemic concoction and the desire to recreate it. The major focus of the series is more personal though, character focused. It also happens to take place in Prohibition era New York. I assume you've read it or Durarara as you mentioned liking multiple POVs, and those series are what immediately come to mind for me in LNs / anime as Pulp Fiction esque in that regard.

The Isolator is by the Sword Art writer and is soft sci fi about aliens that bestow super powers to humans. :alien:

Not really SF, but if you like the whole "trapped in a game world scenario", there's Rising of the Shield Hero. It has a lot of volumes out. Volume 1 is really strong (I'd put it up there with a Baccano).

PS: I love the Nichijou avatar. xD

• Premium Member

I don't know if Legends of the Galactic heroes qualifies as a light novel or not, but oh man it's some damn good sci-fi. Huge epic stuff with tons of world building. I've only read (actually listened to the audiobook) the first volume which I hear is the worst of the series, and I'm hooked.

• Premium Member

@the-green-death That's in my audiobook collection to read. I really need to get to it.

If you have Audible, the first 3 issues of that Galactic Heroes series, Kizumonogatari, and two smaller Attack on Titan Novels all have audio books, and these are like anime productions (the woman who voices Shantae and famous anime characters helps voice female characters in Kizu).

It doesn't seem like the audio books did all too well though, as Bakemonogatari's release didn't get an audio book, and I wouldn't bank on getting Galactic Heroes 4-(6?) in audio book form either. :disappointed:

Edit: These are some sci fi novels by Asian writers I'm looking at; some are LN, others hard novel:

Slum Online (MMO focus)
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6707071-slum-online

The Cage of Zeus (Gender plays a role here)
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10201361-the-cage-of-zeus

Harmony
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7326876-harmony

I also started The Three Body Problem trilogy of books recently, which I believe are Chinese sci fi. Volume 1 is fairly self contained, but has some sequel hooks. Those are hard hard sci fi, so many explanations. It also involves a video game simulation VR game.

• @Sean-McCann said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

If you're looking for a series with sci-fi elements told from multiple POVs, you can't go wrong with Kouhei Kadono's Boogiepop series.
    Seven Seas put out four volumes back in the day, but there's considerably more than that if you can read Japanese.

Most of the volumes work as stand alone stories and Kadono is great at creating distinct characters, so I highly recommend them.

I've definitely heard about the Boogiepop anime. I think even the show went out of print. Stand alone stories makes it seem even more interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

@Terrence said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

I haven't read it, but Mardock Scramble looks really good. I saw some of the images from the manga, then found out it had a novel release stateside. I haven't looked into the story much, but it's a trilogy packed into one book (700+ pages), I believe hard sci fi, and it's up on stores where Ebooks are sold. That sounds perfect for you. =)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8376686-mardock-scramble

Hmm, I don't know if Baccano would count as SF in your definition, but it involves immortality through an alchemic concoction and the desire to recreate it. The major focus of the series is more personal though, character focused. It also happens to take place in Prohibition era New York. I assume you've read it or Durarara as you mentioned liking multiple POVs, and those series are what immediately come to mind for me in LNs / anime as Pulp Fiction esque in that regard.

The Isolator is by the Sword Art writer and is soft sci fi about aliens that bestow super powers to humans. :alien:

Not really SF, but if you like the whole "trapped in a game world scenario", there's Rising of the Shield Hero. It has a lot of volumes out. Volume 1 is really strong (I'd put it up there with a Baccano).

PS: I love the Nichijou avatar. xD

Mardock Scramble sounds pretty neat. I've heard good things about the films. Although I've never seen Ghost in the Shell, the premise gives me those vibes. I've definitely been wanting to read The Isolator for a while now.

I have seen the Baccono tv show. It was pretty neat. DRRR!! seems like it could be a lot of fun.

PS: Nichijou ftw!
    @the-green-death said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

I don't know if Legends of the Galactic heroes qualifies as a light novel or not, but oh man it's some damn good sci-fi. Huge epic stuff with tons of world building. I've only read (actually listened to the audiobook) the first volume which I hear is the worst of the series, and I'm hooked.

I've heard about this one many times on social media. Seems the tv show is a classic too. I've never tried audio books, but maybe this title might be a good one to start.

@Terrence said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

@the-green-death That's in my audiobook collection to read. I really need to get to it.

If you have Audible, the first 3 issues of that Galactic Heroes series, Kizumonogatari, and two smaller Attack on Titan Novels all have audio books, and these are like anime productions (the woman who voices Shantae and famous anime characters helps voice female characters in Kizu).

It doesn't seem like the audio books did all too well though, as Bakemonogatari's release didn't get an audio book, and I wouldn't bank on getting Galactic Heroes 4-(6?) in audio book form either. :disappointed:

I seriously love Attack on Titan. I guess you can count that one. Never knew there were any audiobooks for those either.

Thank you for your recommendations everyone :) Btw if anyone happens to know of any good SF LNs with a female main character, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case)!

• @Terrence Cage of Zeus seems really deep with it premise, but it's definitely on my radar. Harmony was sth I came across once while surfing TRSI. Thanks! :)

• Premium Member

If I can figure out how to private message, I'll send you the first Galactic Heroes audio book free (it's a service Audible provides to let you get one book for free from someone sent to you, but only one; I believe you can also get one free Audiobook for signing up for a free Audible trial, so you could try Kizu or get the second Galactic Heroes).

If anyone wants to try Galactic Heroes or Kizumonogatari for free, let me know. I think the links should work if I PM them.

Edit: If you go on retailmenot, there's a coupon link to sign up for a free Audible trial for two Audiobooks to keep if you're an Amazon Prime Member (even if you cancel the trial after claiming them), so you could conceivably get all the current Galactic Heroes for free if you use the link I sent for the one free book in addition to that deal.

• Premium Member

I don't know how no one says "Qualia the Purple" and "Shin Sekai Yori".
    "Qualia the fucking Purple" is a blast, and "Shin Sekai Yori" is a very good Social Sci Fi with pints of xenofiction, but is very adult too with abundant mature themes and explicit content, so if you are triggered easily it's not your book.
    "Paprika is a lovely book too, but it also a mature book with some explicit content, also, the english translation is bad, very bad, I don't know if there's a new edition now with a new translation but the one I have is really bad, try the movie instead.
    "Emanon" this is also Social Sci Fi, and is good, fluffy and sweet, the manga is pure eye candy and I hear the adaptation is good so it's a good alternative too if you cannot read the original.
    And in this place you have "Occultic;Nine", try it, it doesn't disappoint, is crazy, is madness incarnate, doesn't disappoint in the slightest.
    I hope this commentary serve you of something.

• Premium Member

@Aura I hear the anime for Shin Sekai Yori takes a different route from the book.

I'd like to read the novels, but they aren't out in English I don't think. That and Shiki I mentioned in the recommendations threads.

I have Paprika on my To Reads too.

• Premium Member

@Terrence If you know where to search you can find them.
    I love to have them in paper in a language I can understand, if someone licensed them it will be great, "Qualia" is really, really liked here and the riajuu would love"Shin Sekai".
    "SSY" anime is licensed I think, the ending is a little bit different but is still good, but it's normal that certain parts were soften, the book is crude, very crude, and it doesn't have work in an anime format.
    Also, have you read the first volume of "Digital Devil Saga"? I like the games but the novel it's really deep, vol 2 would be released... soon? no one have any idea, but really, "DDS" is really good, recommended.
    Good luck with "Paprika" I hope you don't own the horrible translated edition.

• @Aura said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

I don't know how no one says "Qualia the Purple" and "Shin Sekai Yori".
    "Qualia the fucking Purple" is a blast, and "Shin Sekai Yori" is a very good Social Sci Fi with pints of xenofiction, but is very adult too with abundant mature themes and explicit content, so if you are triggered easily it's not your book.
    "Paprika is a lovely book too, but it also a mature book with some explicit content, also, the english translation is bad, very bad, I don't know if there's a new edition now with a new translation but the one I have is really bad, try the movie instead.
    "Emanon" this is also Social Sci Fi, and is good, fluffy and sweet, the manga is pure eye candy and I hear the adaptation is good so it's a good alternative too if you cannot read the original.
    And in this place you have "Occultic;Nine", try it, it doesn't disappoint, is crazy, is madness incarnate, doesn't disappoint in the slightest.
    I hope this commentary serve you of something.

I've read a good amount of the Qualia the Purple. It confuses the hell out of me with its quantum physics mumbo-jumbo, but it really doesn't disappoint. It's one of the few cases where I'm fine with a comic having 60-70%+ narration to tell a story. Once I buy the last volume off Bookwalker I'll read the rest.

I did watch a few eps of From the New World a few years back, but it didn't hold my interest for long. Perhaps my tastes have changed since then though.

Emanon's premise seems really neat, Even better that the manga is only one volume. I'll keep it in mind.

I really should give Occultic;Nine a chance. I'm not sure why but I've had an unconscious bias against it. Kind of strange since I really enjoyed the heck out of Steins;Gate.

@Aura said in Looking for Sci-Fi LN recommendations.:

@Terrence If you know where to search you can find them.
    I love to have them in paper in a language I can understand, if someone licensed them it will be great, "Qualia" is really, really liked here and the riajuu would love"Shin Sekai".
    "SSY" anime is licensed I think, the ending is a little bit different but is still good, but it's normal that certain parts were soften, the book is crude, very crude, and it doesn't have work in an anime format.
    Also, have you read the first volume of "Digital Devil Saga"? I like the games but the novel it's really deep, vol 2 would be released... soon? no one have any idea, but really, "DDS" is really good, recommended.
    Good luck with "Paprika" I hope you don't own the horrible translated edition.

I've heard of the SMT series but I was never aware of of any novel adaptions until now. Might give it a look now that you mentioned it.

Paprika sounds sick (in the cool way) but I'm on the fence as to how I'll experience it. I'll see what I find regarding the film.

Thanks again! :)

• Crest of the Stars (Japanese: 星界の紋章 Hepburn: Seikai no Monsho)
    It got interesting plot, scifi world, characters and romance. It got anime too.

Chrome Shelled Regios. Interesting scifi, plot and characters. romance sucks tho. also, anime.

Looks like your connection to J-Novel Club Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.