Ascendance of a bookworm ( Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen)

• Premium Member

To be honest I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten onto the suggestions page yet i had just assumed it had but i couldn't find it.

alt text

Title: Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen
    English Title: Ascendance of a bookworm
    Manga Status: Exists, Fan-translation only, ongoing
    Novel Status: 13 Volumes (Ongoing)
    Publisher: TO Bunko (TO Books)

Synopsis: Motosu Urano, a book-loving college student who just got her Librarian certification and was supposed to enter the job of her dreams after graduation, was killed during a massive earthquake crushing her underneath a pile of her own massive collection of books.

Wishing for reincarnation in order to read even more, she got reincarnated to a world with a low literacy level and very few books, limited only to the nobility of the world. As she reincarnated as 5-year-old daughter of a lowly soldier, Maine, no matter how much she wants to read, there is no way there are any books around. If there are no books then what do you do? You make them yourself of course... What her goal is, to become a librarian no matter what, and to live a life surrounded by books. For starters she begins from making them. from LNDB
    http://lndb.info/light_novel/Honzuki_no_Gekokujou:_Shisho_ni_Naru_Tame_ni_wa_Shudan_wo_Erandeiraremasen

• Premium Member

I love the premise of this series. It also got the #1 spot on the tankobon list for the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi last year too: https://myanimelist.net/news/53160693.

Via Curiouscat:

Q: Is there interest in licensing "Ascendance of a Bookworm", which has 13 volumes in Japan right now, and got first in the "This Light Novel is Amazing" 2018 guide with over 600k books sold.
    A: I have interest but the volumes are really thick. Might have to price the ebooks higher.

• Premium Member

Looks very interesting. I'd gladly pay a higher price for this one.

• Premium Member

I would be willing to pay extra for it as well, which I'm sure would be fine for the sites like amazon or bookwalker but it might get a little complicated with premium credits.

Though I really think this series would be worth the hassle to get that sorted out, it's an issue that's bound to come up at some point even if it isn't this particular series.

• Premium Member

Would also gladly pay a higher premium for this one. It's a really fun story.

I also admit a selfish desire to kind of hold out on suggesting anyone licencing this, because the current fan translation is really good, to the point where I'd be happiest if they could just hire the existing fan translator to do what he's already doing. I'm not sure he'd want to do that, though, since he already has another job (as a game dev) and I don't know if he wants the extra responsibility of making sure to have a chapter out every week for pay; he's usually very good at doing so punctually, but he does take breaks now and then for unavoidable RL stuff.

• Premium Member

@unsynchedcheese

I don’t have a problem with the quality of his translation, and beyond just wanting to buy it officially and support the author, at his current rate of translating it will take him 20+ years to finish the story.

• Premium Member

Well now, with JNC having licensed the manga, the possibility of an LN license has now gotten quite interesting...

• @stardf29 I agree,I read the manga/LN in past and BOY it is interesting os am glad i got picked up...well at least manga for now

• Premium Member

2 manga chapters in and I now also want the LN.

• Premium Member

@crimson-wise I'm of the opinion that the LN is superior to the Manga ( I think that way about pretty much all LNs to be honest) so if you like the manga you would definitely like the LN.

• Your wish came true!

• Premium Member

@veshurik

Huh?

• @catstorm Well, at least manga get licensed...

• Premium Member

I heard there's gonna be some more JNC licensing announcement coming up. Fingers crossed one of it is this LN :P

• Premium Member

I was planing to just take a look at the LN cause the manga is cool, but i wasn't able to stop reading ^^
    After reading the Fantrad i can only say one thing: "we need it", the manga is good but definitly nowhere near the LN. The story kind of remind me of Mushoku Tensei first half in a way and manage to keep being interesting despite not having lot of action or a big driving plot, it also has some good characters devlopement.
    We're probably going to get it licence anyway with how popular it is right now, but i hope JNC take it, i don't want to wait 4~5 months between each vol.