Ascendance of a Bookworm Vol. 1 Discussion

@quof Thanks for processing this! I'm not attached to Maïne's umlaut, so I definitely won't complain if you do away with it. Your reasoning is good, anyway.

I found Blastron's relevant translation notes for the name changes in WN52 if you're curious. Copypasting here in case you'd rather nuke the link:

Translator’s note: After soliciting feedback from some people more familiar with Germanic naming conventions than I am, I’m going back and making changes to how I’m spelling certain names. Older chapters will be updated when I get time to do so.

• Maine is now Maïne. Her name is supposed to be pronounced as “mine” (one syllable, like the English word), and I was basically deluding myself into believing that’s how people were pronouncing it. Maybe an umlaut will fix it.
    • Tory is now Tuuli. (A mistake I’ve regretted since chapter 5 but have been too lazy to fix.)
    • Yutte is now Jutte. The J is pronounced as a Y. It’s German.

Look out for the Yutte/Jutte name change, although I don't think she'll appear for a few volumes, if she ever gets named in the manga at all.

Also potentially of interest to you, this japanese wiki fan page trying to come up with romanized versions of katakana names (spoiler warning, I guess, according to Blastron). Also maybe the TL note at the end of the first WN chapter of part 2 (WN78) regarding the title of the temple master, although this is certainly way ahead in the future.

• Premium Member

As your average, dumb American whose only fluent language is English and even then only barely, Maine pronounced as Mine would definitely never process, no matter how many strange fancy letters you put in there! Why not just Mine then though, if that's the more accurate representation? It's an odd name, but not unheard of?

I always have trouble determining whether the trailing e should be silent or not with these things.

I do remember asking about character's name pronunciation in the past (in reference to Ragnarok, IIRC, which has a whole lot more weirder letters), and am often just told that it really doesn't matter, whatever it is in your head is fine. As long as I don't talk about these things to other people, I suppose it doesn't?

• Premium Member

@flarecde said in Ascendance of a Bookworm Vol. 1 Discussion:

As your average, dumb American whose only fluent language is English and even then only barely, Maine pronounced as Mine would definitely never process, no matter how many strange fancy letters you put in there! Why not just Mine then though, if that's the more accurate representation? It's an odd name, but not unheard of?

Mee Nay or Mine like "3 million dollars is mine!"?

I'm thinking that could be a reason to do that maybe? Because Mine as MeeNay is a name already in Japanese fiction?

@flarecde I suppose it might only be a point of friction if there ever is an anime — which I guess is likely given how popular the LN is in Japan.

Ah, I just remembered that I've also seen マイン as “Maïn”, I don't know if that might work better.

• Premium Member

@terrence I think it's supposed to be the single syllable version (per the previous post). But I've mostly heard it as the two syllable version, yeah. Like in Akame Ga Kill (sp?). That trailing e is always confusing :(.

Could go completely crazy and make it Myne?

Doesn't matter what you do now though, I'm gonna pronounce it Maine like the state and you can't stop me!

• @quof Quite sure you already know this, but a lot of the names in this series, at least on Blastrons Translation are very Germanic.
    I think Maïne is just a trema, so it's spoken basically like in Naive or cooperate (coöperate), but I don't think it has to be as pronounced.

As a Norwegian, I've always used Ma-ine, not as in the English word main, as we don't really blend vowels from what I can recall atm.

or it could be that it should be Mine, with no [a] sound in it, as that flows better with "that" name.

• @flarecde if the name is Japanese or Germanic, I don't think e is ever silent.
    and by [e], I ofc mean [E] as in Everything

• Premium Member

You could also try Myne or something similar. Instead of Maine.

Cute new chapter.
    Kinda a nitpick but
    alt text

• Premium Member

Hmm, new chapter is out and for the other manga too. I totally missed them since there was no entry in release/coming soon. Guess I'll have a look soon then.

Hm, still going with Tory instead of Tuuli?

• @legitpancake No, you are right to point out stuff like that.

• That's not even funny, I waited for that so long!
    I will wait exactly for LN license! YEEEEEEAHHH!!!

• Premium Member

Read the first chapter of this and then went and read the rest of the other scanlations and all of blastron's translations. What an amazing manga/novel. Looking forward to an eventual light novel release that I can purchase. (I don't purchase translated manga personally, only original Japanese physical releases, which I own plenty of.)

@mlindner If you don’t support the translated manga, then don’t blame Sam if he never licenses the novel. This manga could be a test to see if enough true fans exist to warrant an investment in the novels.

• Premium Member

So, she's planning to bankrupt her family to get her hands on some books, did I get this right?

• Premium Member

I wasn't expecting much from that serie, but so far it's looking really good. My only complain would be that while the drawing is good, it kind of fell to show how dirty the place and characters are.
    I know we shouldn't ask, but i hope we get the LN.

• MC is so addicted to books that borders to an obsession hope she remember to put her new family needs infront of books

• @nichtmalda Afraid so she is obsessed.

• Premium Member

@legitpancake Sorry, this is just my personal policy. I like paper books for images and I like the feel of them. The Japanese printing is also much better (higher contrast) than any western releases as well.