Manga reader and stuff that annoys me

• Premium Member

Current reader for manga is kinda... unsatisfying. Here are a few qualms I have about it.

First of all, what is up with right to left page order? I know its kinda a thing in Japan, but we are not in Japan. In fact, most people who consume your products are used to left to right navigation. In short, I don't want to navigate in reverse to what I am used to, if somebody likes it, more power to them, but I hate it. This should be optional.

Secondly, it would be amazing if the reader could remember your scroll preferences. I personally prefer to read my manga by scrolling DOWN and after each chapter I have to switch from whatever abomination is on by default to my preference. Its annoying.

Well, the entire website is in need of an overhaul, now that manga is becoming part of, maybe its about time to upgrade the website?

What features do you miss the most?

• @zing Pretty sure you confused left and right here.

In fact, most people who consume your products are used to right to left navigation.

They probably are, so you're kind of in a minority here. You can probably add a poll to the post (though sampling won't be perfect but it should be somewhat good).

This should be optional.

Sure, though there are issues in rearranging the double pages so it may be a little more complex than it seems.

Secondly, it would be amazing if the reader could remember your scroll preferences.

Last I checked it also won't resume to previously opened page even though it saves it on the server. And novel reader won't remember settings either.

What features do you miss the most?

Ability to get something better than a lowest resolution on a 1366x768 laptop without having to whip out browser dev tools or writing your own app.

• Premium Member

@zing In print format, I don't think I've ever seen a manga which didn't read the same way. However, it is possible that the scrolling idea may make it easier for some western readers that aren't used to the standard format.

One interesting thing of point here, and I just realized this since it's been pointed out about the manga, is that the LN's (when read on iOS at least) navigate in reverse of the manga which maintain the standard Japanese format. It's not that I don't understand the reason for this (it does maintain better continuity for western readers because of the used to read printed material). It does feel odd to think about it though.

• Premium Member

To me, having to read R to L in a single page panel to panels was more disorienting at first than R to L for actual full pages.

I'm used to switching reading direction depending on what it is I'm reading these days but can see how this could be a barrier to entry for new readers.

To change direction completely, all the panels would have to be flipped, which used to be done by mirroring the pages in the bad old days of official English print manga, so you'd get things mirror imaged that really shouldn't be - it makes it a cleaning/redrawing nightmare.

Page order would be much simpler except for the whole double pages thing @_08 mentioned.

There's extra costs in displaying it western order for just the pages and even more to get western order for the panels themselves. I figure the latter would be off the table completely, but perhaps the former isn't so bad?

• Premium Member

@Zing Hi, I'm the one who developed the reader, so direct complaints and feedback at me. First of all, the reader should be remembering your preferred reading direction on the local browser (not across devices) for individual comics. Saving that setting across devices and global site settings for that sort of stuff has not been implemented yet, but certainly something I've thought of, for the revamping. As for the right-to-left reading aspect, you'd have to ask Sam about that. Personally I think that RTL without mirroring the panels and redrawing the text would be pretty confusing because you would be reading like this:
    0_1547804028153_89ff9100-0d74-4d2f-ad83-e9b1c1e8921c-image.png
    instead of this:
    0_1547803912896_755212cd-b329-4dc4-91cf-d2db433dc438-image.png

On a side note, I've noticed many readers have become habituated with the "toon" format of vertical scrolling, especially on mobile where you just flick down quick

EDIT: Also, I'm not saying it would be difficult to implement a switch for RTL to LTR, but I didn't imagine anyone would want to read a comic whose panels are arranged for RTL reading in LTR.

• Premium Member

@_08

Ability to get something better than a lowest resolution on a 1366x768 laptop without having to whip out browser dev tools or writing your own app.

Yeah it's becoming more and more apparent a settings dialog of a sorts is necessary

• Premium Member

LTR in single page probably OK.
    but LTR on double pages would be horrible.
    also I against mirroring RTL manga to LTR, it broke more than it solve.

However navigational preference might be nice for those that read in single page only.

• Premium Member

@zing Uhm, wait what. Either I don't understand it, but don't you mean it the other way. The Manga is right to left. Or do you mean that you need to click on the left key to get the new page? What exactly is it then you don't like?

Oh but one thing which is really needed is your mentioned overhaul. In the case of Manga. First you need to click on the right side on the chapter, then you have under the cover read now and even furhter down again read the prepub. I always forget that you need to click on the one under the cover.

• Premium Member

@saskir Oh, shit. I should have clarified that I am talking about page order, not page layout. I am used to read manga pages from right to left. What I hate is to browse pages from right to left and would prefer to scroll down instead.
    I care little for physical copies as I have stopped buying physical copies a long time ago due to lack of shelf space.

• Premium Member

If it matters, the Comixology reader app also goes right to left for browsing manga pages, so I figured this was standard.

The only places I've seen left to right for manga is in apps for fan-translated manga, but I could be missing some other apps.

• Premium Member

@unsynchedcheese said in Manga reader and stuff that annoys me:

If it matters, the Comixology reader app also goes right to left for browsing manga pages, so I figured this was standard.

The only places I've seen left to right for manga is in apps for fan-translated manga, but I could be missing some other apps.

There were a few paper manga that were done left to right, but a lot of them were odd since literally what the publisher did was flip the pages horizontally (as an image). This meant sometimes things would look strange since what looked fine originally would make mistakes stand out due to how the eye moves.

I'm pretty sure it was an unpopular move by people that considered themselves fans and by the original artists who might see the flipped version and be like: No! I made a mistake there!

That and when you flip an image, sometimes the translation starts getting odd... I'm not going to go into full details though.

That said... Is the manga reader official now?

Edit: Note that I haven't seen even paper manga do mirrored left to right recently. This was back when manga first started appearing as officially licensed items.

• Premium Member

I actually really struggle to read comics when the page and panel direction is flipped to left to right since I'm so used to manga.

The Chi's Sweet Home Omnibus does this iirc. I think "My Husband's Brother" does too. I assume the Berserk hardcover will as well?

That being said, an option is nice. I do vertical scrolling on manga, so the horizontal scrolling doesn't matter to me.

• Premium Member

@terrence Dark Horse has never mirror imaged Berserk, and they won’t with the hardcover, which I’ve already preordered.

Anyways, I’ve never even seen a left-to-right option for any legal manga sites. The new Shonen Jump app, which is probably the industry standard for how to do it (other than no progress indication or adding to favorites, but those are on the to do list apparently) defaults to right-to-left, and has no option to change it.
    While I wouldn’t mind an option for those that absolutely need it, i think OP is very much wrong that he is in the majority in wanting this. None of JNC’s competitors do this, so why should they waste time and resources on encoding it?

• Premium Member

Bookwalker has a reverse page direction on their web reader. Not reversed panels though iirc, so it can just add to confusion.

• Premium Member

When it comes to reading digitally I prefer scrolling down for novels and for graphic novels (such as manga) I prefer to flip in the direction you are supposed to read as in flip left for LTR like manga and flip right for RTL like western comics.

Edit: I also prefer double page layout even if it is to "single" pages together as I find this helps me with the flow (just like scrolling down for novels helps with the flow).

• Premium Member

@chocolatkey said in Manga reader and stuff that annoys me:

On a side note, I've noticed many readers have become habituated with the "toon" format of vertical scrolling, especially on mobile where you just flick down quick

I use Manga Storm this way on my mobile because I can read without zooming in. It’s great and I’d love to see it

• Premium Member

I actually don't really mind the reader except for the fact that it has that annoying issue where it doesn't take you to the next part automatically in the app version. (The LN reader doesn't either in the app version).

Not sure if it has changed, but I can scroll down or click the left side to go to the next page so navigation seems to be fine there for me.

• Premium Member

@sinnoaria said in Manga reader and stuff that annoys me:

I actually don't really mind the reader except for the fact that it has that annoying issue where it doesn't take you to the next part automatically in the app version.

Yes. Besides getting rid of the bugs while starting a new part where everything is dark and it won't scroll vertically, that's all I need, a button at the bottom or hidden in the top menu to go to the next part.

• Premium Member

@terrence said in Manga reader and stuff that annoys me:

@sinnoaria said in Manga reader and stuff that annoys me:

I actually don't really mind the reader except for the fact that it has that annoying issue where it doesn't take you to the next part automatically in the app version.

Yes. Besides getting rid of the bugs while starting a new part where everything is dark and it won't scroll vertically, that's all I need, a button at the bottom or hidden in the top menu to go to the next part.

Yeah, I noticed that bug after posting.

• Premium Member

@sinnoaria If I remember correctly, everything was flipped in the 90s and read left to right. Blade of the Immortal is the only exception that I can think of. It was still read let to right, but instead of the whole page being flipped, the panels were individually cut and rearranged. I remember reading somewhere that this was part of the deal that Dark Horse made because of the author's wishes. Of course, there's also the fact that a lot of people would get upset if they saw the MC wear a shirt with a flipped manji.