Mystery. Have it ever piqued your curiosity?

• Premium Member

@bloodygaikotsu said in Mystery. Have it ever piqued your curiosity?:

I said it didn't give us puzzles.
    If you are reading are classic mystery novel and the mystery was solved in the first 40 pages, would you really be satisfied?

But it isn't solved in the first 40 pages or even at the start. Also when do we or Araragi learn the answer? Not in that hypothetical 40 pages. We still can try to solve the mystery for ourselves. Just because one person knows the answer, if they don't tell us he answer or save it for the end that does not take away from the mystery.

• Premium Member

For me, the main issue is translation. A lot of times, mystery series either have clues that only work in the original language or are very hard to translate in a way that doesn't sacrifice the clues. Often, these clues are so subtle that your typical translator misses the fact that they are clues.

That and you have series where they purposefully hide some of the clues until the reveal, which feels cheap. This tends to happen for longer series where they are trying to come up with new things quickly rather than series where they are given time to work on it and properly convey the clues.

For someone like me, mysteries and puzzle series are fairly simple to solve if I try (actually, it is automatic for me, like Glass and other movies, I figured out the reveal as soon as the early clues were given even though I just wanted to watch it), but I enjoy the process of how the characters figure it out. For others who might need more clues to solve things and want to read mysteries for the purpose of solving things before the reveal, they'll feel cheated if clues aren't properly given.

Basically, I don't mind spoilers because it actually spoils less than if I were to enjoy a series normally (unless the series is completed). My enjoyment comes from the journey, not the 'surprise' or 'result'. Many people hate spoilers because they feel that their enjoyment comes not from the journey, but from the 'surprises' or 'results'.

@BloodyGaikotsu I solved Higurashi's mystery before the reveal was even published, I think second question arc (which is slow for me).

I've figured out the mystery of older novels early as well, sometimes before even a tenth of the novel. (which means before page 40 in some cases). And I am fine with that. Like I said, I enjoy the journey.

(I was pretty hated for a while since I revealed the secrets of a certain anime as early as episode 1, since to me, it was super obvious what would happen and people were like, no, that can't be, then you had the MC deny one of the reveals partway through and people were like: see? And I was like, I explained that part as well... (The MC legitimately thought she was a guy and there wasn't any way to check)). It was a while after that I stopped revealing what would happen because honestly, I'd rather just enjoy the journey. I've always felt that it is silly to be worried about spoilers.

Basically, just because you know what will happen, doesn't necessarily mean you'll experience how it reaches that point. The experience of the journey can be more entertaining than the results.

• @stardf29 said in Mystery. Have it ever piqued your curiosity?:

I don't dislike mystery, and I'm certainly not inherently opposed to reading a mystery novel should one be licensed (as long as it's not also horror, because I generally dislike horror).

Don't worry, only 2 mysteries on the forums are horror (Shiki and Higurashi).

That said, I don't really think prose, or anything like film/anime/TV show is the best medium for mystery stories. If part of the fun of mystery is trying to figure out said mystery, then these sorts of "scripted" media limit that experience. At worst, you have the author intentionally hiding important information until the reveal ("unfair mysteries"), and even in cases where the unraveling of the mystery is done well, there's still the fact that the audience is railroaded as far as the actual process of figuring out said mystery, only being able to gather clues the way the protagonist does.

That's why, if you ask me, the ideal media for mystery stories are video games (or other interactive media). Good mystery video games give you the feel of being the detective, having to figure out where the clues are and how to get them on top of trying to put it all together. If I really wanted a mystery experience, I would probably rather get one such game than pick up a mystery novel or TV show.

For this, I have to disagree, it's all about understanding your medium and how to use it.
    E.g. one of the reasons Another adaptation kinda failed (live-action was better but not that better) is the fact that the trick was based on the fact it's a book.

Each medium is quite unique and has its own element, understanding how these elements work and make use of them is a sign of a really good author/creator.

• Premium Member

@bloodygaikotsu

Each medium is quite unique and has its own element, understanding how these elements work and make use of them is signs of a really good author/creator.

That is why Kino no Tabi's animation works. They realized what didn't work as a non-book medium. The manga realized as well, if memory serves.

When you are dealing with mystery series, the medium changes what you need to deal with. Do you make use of the fact that the audience can't see a clear image to hide the mystery? Do you deal with the fact that the audience CAN see to use tricks of 'sight' and 'optical illusions'? Do you deal with the fact that you have a moving picture potentially with sound?

To me, that is why ports often don't work well. They try to port things as is and it doesn't work. Ports really only work when you redesign them. The problem becomes how to redesign them. To me, the best ports are where they take the premise and go, you know what? Either we port this perfectly and lose nothing or if we can't do that, we aren't going to make this a copy of the original source, we are going to, right off the bat, declare that this is an alternate version of the story.