The girl who ate a death god

• Premium Member

alt text

Title: Shinigami wo Tabeta Shoujo
    Author: Nanasawa Matari
    Artiste: Chomoran
    Publisher: Enterbrain
    Number of volumes : 2
    Status: complete (shared universe with 3 other series but each is independent)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-girl-who-ate-a-death-god-ln/

Description (from NU) :

"What happens when one eats Death?
    Personally, I don’t really know. What I do know is merely one thing.
    I’m hungry.
    Therefore, I’ll take the heads of these guys and deliver them to my superiors.
    Surely, I’ll be able to eat delicious food.
    Come, if preparations are in order, we depart. "

Since both descriptions on NU aren't very helpful, here's a quick summary: The novel follows Shera a girl from a poor farming village who after a raid of the kingdom liberation army (rebel) in which she is nearly killed, obtain some strange death powers and join the Kingdom side in the civil war.

Why I want it :
    It's a really good war story, with good strategy (most of the time), believable battle and overall quite "realistic" despite being in a fantasy setting. Most characters are interesting, their motivations make sense, none of them is totally good or bad and all of them change throughout the story. The MC powers are also quite interesting and the novel finds a good way to keep the tension high despite how powerful she is.
    (Micro spoiler, chapter 3)

Why I think it could be a good pick to JNC:
    It could appeal to both "side" of JNC readers:

• it got an op protagonist who let nobody get in her way
    • but it's also a rather grim and deep story, with a realistic tone.

Also, it's a fantasy war novel that we don't have much of.
    The ratings on NU are high, the WN being a 4.8/5 for 541 votes.
    And it's only 2 volumes so if it fails it's not a big loss and if it sells well there are parent stories by the same author and publisher to capitalize on.

• Premium Member

I think it sounds interesting. I’ll see about checking out the web novel translation later to get a feel for it.

• I like the sound of this book so I'm giving it a vote in the hopes someone will pick it up.

• Premium Member

We definitely could use a good war story.

• Premium Member

Would love to see this one. It was a really good read.