The Faraway Paladin Manga Volume 1 Discussion

• Premium Member

Where there's a Will, there's a manga about his adventures.

• Premium Member

Going to read these to remember everything that happened (I hope they do the series justice).

• Premium Member

I hope the mangaka do a better job here than he did on Grimgar.
    He isn’t bad, his cover and the promotionnal art look really good, but Overlap or whoever is behind the adaption should give the guy more time or assistants or something, because the inside is average to bad.

• Premium Member

SWEET!!!

• Premium Member

It's been aaaaages since I read the LNs, but did Blood have hair?!

• Premium Member

Wasn't the mummy wrapped in bandages too?

(I kind of like Blood's hair, lol; but yeah, I don't recall him having hair and it has been a while since I read).

• Premium Member

@terrence I kind of remember Gus being a bit more "ethereal".

• Premium Member

@terrence Mary isn't wrap in bandage, at least on the picture of vol 1 she isn't i don't remember the description tho.
    But all 3 are quite similar to the LN picture, Blood's skeletal structure being the biggest difference.

• Premium Member

Oh, nice.I didn't know that the manga adaptation existed. Still, I really hope they will do the novels justice. After all, this series is one of the best full-blooded fantasy I've ever read, both Western and Eastern, period. I doubt that you can even call them LNs since the author put a lot of thought into worldbuilding and story.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really worried about two things:

First is how they will represent magic in the manga. I mean, the magic system was quite complex and like something straight out from Warhammer or other series where magic wasn't just casually throwing fireballs all computer games style without any repercussions :)

Second is equipment: both weapons and armour. For a fantasy series, the author put a lot of details on the equipment and avoided some pretty bad cliches. For example, it was bluntly stated that most of the times swords are just self-defense weapons and it's the polearms that are true battlefield weapons. I also remember that armour was also very important and it wasn't disregarded, and Wiliam did have a set of it. So maybe I'm just paranoid, but seeing Wiliam on the cover with just the plain clothes worries me. It's probably not that time yet though :D

Man chapter 4 really threw me, did not expect that... Now I'm really curious as to why he was genuinely intent on killing him.

• Editors

@the-one-demon You could always get the light novels and find out that way too!

Chapter 4 was so powerful, it was wonderful to see those key scenes drawn out too!

• Editors

@xerand It's been a while since I checked in, but how are you liking the magic? They haven't gotten too far to cover the weapons and armor, but the magic looks really sweet to me, especially the double casting!

• Editors

Hey everyone, Sasha here! I'm the editor for the FP manga and novels.

How did you enjoy volume 1 of the manga? I loved being able to see all of the characters drawn out. As corny as it sounds, it was like seeing old friends again, and some of the most memorable scenes in the LN gave me chills to see in comic form!

I forgot to mention something about Chapter 4:

There's a part where Will starts getting full of himself, and the panel shows his nose growing. It looks kinda like a Pinocchio reference, doesn't it? But he's not lying. Hrm.

Translator James pointed out to me that it's actually a reference to tengu in Japanese folklore:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120213093035AAdTdx2&guccounter=1

Thanks for the reference, @james-rushton!

• Premium Member

@sasha-mcglynn I apologize for replying so late. I must have missed it in the notification panel. When it comes to magic then it's just great, I'm loving it. The mangaka truly put much focus on it just like how it was in novels too :) By the way, perhaps I've said it before, but I really like that there is an actual lore for magic in this series instead of your standard video game-y "press X to cast Fireball" thing like in many, many other LNs and Mangas