Marginal Operation Volume 1 Discussion

• Premium Member

Sign the contract and hit the sandbox.

• Premium Member

@exedore

ok, I was lost for a second... now I see the tweet, 3 of 5 Manga's announced today...Woot!

(I wonder if this means JNC will license the LN as well?)

• Premium Member

@exedore note the right edge of several pages is cut off

• Premium Member

That one look really interesting and the art is good.
    Shouldn't the english be in an other language since the MC doesn’t understand it tho?

• Premium Member

@jimmyj Please send a screenshot as it looks fine on my browser.

• Premium Member

I actually checked out the first 2-3 chapters of this manga a while back. Another one to follow.

===

Volume 1 - Chapter 1:

• Page 06 ► It should be THE ENEMIES' SUPPLIES ARE BUSTED!
      Page 06

• Page 33 ► It should be WHOA, FOREIGNERS...
      Page 33

• Page 37 ► It should be PUTTING THAT DILIGENCE TO USE.
      Page 37

• Page 56+ ► Starting from page 56 there are places where peoples speak a different language. I think there should be a better separation/clarification that they are speaking different languages(?). Maybe a different font and/or format.

• Premium Member

@terabyte said in Marginal Operation Volume 1 Discussion:

• Page 56+ ► Starting from page 56 there are places where peoples speak a different language. I think there should be a better separation/clarification that they are speaking different languages(?). Maybe a different font and/or format.

It's already a different font, but it's too similar, and it clearly doesn't get the idea across. It's the same font being used in the first few pages, so I think they're supposed to be speaking English(?) there.

I get that it's not ideal but maybe enclose the foreign text in <angle brackets> or something?

• Premium Member

@nosgoroth If it's not already written in japanese in the original, using some bullshit latin or japanese could do the job, plus like the MC we wouldn't understand what is being said.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Chapter 2:

• Page 01 ► It should be THEN TRAINING BEGINS AT 6:15.
      Page 01

• Page 09 ► It should be I'M GOING TO GO CRAZY.
      Page 09

• Premium Member

A couple reports from chapter 3:

• p5 first text - "its comrades' remains." Missing that apostrophe after comrades.
    • p20 panel 3 bubble 1 - "The most important things people need to know how to do in a foreign country are how to buy stuff and ask for directions." Is this sentence grammatically correct without the "how to"? Even if you were to account for a little flubbing due to dialect it still feels like it's missing a connective there.

I agree with others that the font used to represent English speaking is too similar to the regular font. Page 10 looks super strange with the current fonts.

• Premium Member

How about handling the double text like in many books or manga. Not necessarily with another found but in japanese brackets for example.

• Premium Member

Well that was predictable. Not in a bad way, but geez what did they think they were doing there?

• Premium Member

Well, the Ender's game like twist was predictable, I didn't expect the MC to be that affect tho.
    They allready had determined that the village was hostile and attack them, it shouldn't really matter if the people firing at your allies are villagers or soldiers.

• Premium Member

@raitoiro That's the point. They weren't firing back. It was also perfectly plausible that the terrorists used that village as a FOB, but GTFO of there after they realized the village is gonna get attacked. So, the protagonist and his friend along with the mercs they commanded just rounded up an entire village and slaughtered the inhabitants. Perfect, textbook war crime.

@smashman42 When you think about it, the system that Corpo set up is perfect for desensitizing people. They started treating it as a game to get as much points as they can. Suddenly, they are picked for further testing and the scope of the command increases, but it's still treated as a game along with the system keeping scores and granting them points. Their employers tricked them without technically lying to them or providing misinformation. It's them who assumed that it was still a simulation, so they can't really do anything to them.

This was quite a nice plot twist thoug. This reveal also definitely confirms that for all his lack of expressions and stoicism the protagonist isn't a sociopath or psychopath. Plus, I wonder how will they approach this situation in the future. For all intents and purposes, what they did was a bona fide war crime and can very easily get them into the court.

Edit: Now that I think about it, what if that woman he is meeting with is also from that village? Or knows some people who are there or from there? It will only add on to the drama.