Expiring Manga Volumes! (UPDATED: 12 November)

• Premium Member

Yes, the dreaded time has arrived where manga previews will begin expiring from the site. Please keep an eye on this thread to see what's going next.

Expiring July 15, 2019:
    An Archdemon's Dilemma: How To Love Your Elf Bride Vol. 1
    How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Vol. 1
    The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind! Vol. 1
    Seirei Gensouki Vol. 1

Expiring August 15, 2019:
    A Very Fairy Apartment Vol. 1
    Animeta! Vol. 1
    Ascendace of a Bookworm Vol. 1
    I Shall Survive Using Potions Vol. 1
    Infinite Dendrogram Vol. 1
    The Master of Ragnarok Vol. 1

Expiring October 15, 2019
    Animeta! Vol. 2
    Marginal Operation Vol. 1
    Infinite Dendrogram Vol. 2
    How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Vol. 2

Expiring November 15, 2019
    Seirei Gensouki Vol. 2
    The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind Vol. 2
    A Very Fairy Apartment Vol. 2
    Discommunication Vol. 1
    The Unwanted Undead Adventurer Vol. 1

Expiring December 15, 2019
    The Faraway Paladin Vol. 1
    Sweet Reincarnation Vol. 1
    Ascendance of a Bookworm Vol. 2
    An Archdemon's Dilemma: How To Love Your Elf Bride Vol. 2
    I Shall Survive Using Potions Vol. 2
    The Master of Ragnarok Vol. 2

Expiring January 15, 2020
    The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind Vol. 3
    Discommunication Vol. 2
    Marginal Operation Vol. 2
    Animeta! Vol. 3

Expiring February 15, 2020
    How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kigndom Vol. 3
    Seirei Gensouki Vol. 3
    Cooking With Wild Game Vol. 1
    The Faraway Paladin Vol. 2
    Infinite Dendrogram Vol. 3

• Premium Member

Please keep an eye on this thread to see what's going next.

Could you pin the post so that it always stays on top of the other topics?

• @jaquobus done

• Premium Member

I know Sam already mentioned about selling DRM-free Epubs to be case by case. Since there are some preorders now in some stores, any news on that?

• Premium Member

I wasn't told to set anything DRM-Free so unfortunately everything so far has been uploaded with the DRM enabled flag.

Sorry.

• Premium Member

So there won't be premium epub mangas at all, cause if they're DRMed the only difference is price?

• Premium Member

@exedore Thanks. I was referring to the also called Premium Epubs, also DRM-free, that are being sold directly on the JNC website. (The ones on external stores have DRM, I know.)

Specifically,

1. Are manga series going to be sold directly on the JNC website so that I can buy them with Premium credits?
    2. If so, all series, or just some?
    3. Would they have DRM?

I can understand the lack of premium bonuses, but it hasn't been clarified whether these Epubs will be sold at all here.

• Premium Member

@crimson-wise There aren't be any premium bonuses for manga at this time.

I need to talk to Sam about if we're selling directly through the site - the focus has been on getting set up with the external retailers and making sure that the books conform there. The question of in-house sales is already on my agenda for our next meeting, though.

I can say, however, that we are submitting the highest quality editions that each store allows. I would not recommend downloading our releases on metred mobile data.

• Premium Member

@exedore Understood, thanks. Looking forward to any updates!

• Who's ready to hit The Button?
    alt text

• Premium Member

I wouldn't try clicking Premium if I were you.

@exedore will ComiXology preorders be coming soon?

• Premium Member

@_08 I love that image

• Premium Member

@legitpancake That depends on Comixology and when they get everything processed.

• Premium Member

Ok, just a small problem currently. I did go ahead and click that button for a bookworm's manga, and it worked, yes! However, when clicking on the redeem credit, that button is not working. All I get is a sad little circle spinning.

• Premium Member

This is a known bug with the site - if you list any preorders, it adds a link to redeem premium credit. And since there's no premium manga...

• Premium Member

Ah, I see. I had hoped that when that button appeared that the issue with the manga had already been resolved, or at least it was going to be available as a preorder via the credits.

@ranmas Yep, for now at least, you'll have to buy manga from other stores.

• Premium Member

I'm not big enough on manga to buy them if premium isn't a thing (ie cheap credits primarily, though no DRM so I can convert to suit the device I'm reading on is a huge plus too, same as the novels but not as critical as I'm more likely to read manga on PC)

Maybe they'd need a subtle watermark on every page with who the premium edition was generated for, IMO a more appropirate anti-piracy of premium version than with the LNs with it only being at the end of the book, so I assume easier to remove in calibre et al (or is there like serial numbers hidden elsewhere to bust people that rename the JNC buyer as "YaMum" but don't know there's more ID hidden elsewhere? I'mma open one in calibre & have a search cause I'm curious now Edit: half of the ebooks don't even have my username added into them, WTF? Dunno if there's a member ID hidden somewhere or if they just gave up on copy protection for something editable?)

• Premium Member

@smashman42
    Perhaps they're mainly relying on the trust system when it comes to users not spreading things around or obtaining illicit copies? I mean even with DRM anyone who has enough technical knowledge and/or determination can strip it and spread it around... And like you said, if something's editable then there's nothing to prevent anyone from editing out identifying text and using a program to strip just the text and put it into another file and leave any other identifiers behind. If they notice someplace spreading copies around they can take legal action to shut it down, of course, but to some extent these media copyright laws have to rely on people being generally law abiding.

As for buying digital vs physical JNC manga, for me I'd probably want physical since I especially prefer that format for manga and for reselling potential. For any series that's long, unless digital prices go much lower than physical, long manga series/versions can easily cost hundreds of dollars for something you could get through in a week off and I can't afford to not resell them. I find that the loss from buying and reselling is a lot less than it would take to buy them all digitally. For shorter series that I really like that I can afford not to sell I'd like to keep them on my shelf even if they're a bit more expensive than digital.

Even if there were premium bonuses for manga I'd either have to really like a series and/or the digital copies would need to be quite a bit cheaper than physicals for me to buy them digital, especially with the prepubs.

Also for me at least I'd be unlikely to buy the manga at all if the story was originally a light novel and that was available and not oddly terrible compared to the manga. I'd probably buy just the light novel in that situation. Although I might be tempted for something like Elf Bride where the manga expressions are super cute/funny. Really hoping the light novel version goes on catchup soon since I missed its start since I hadn't joined yet at the time. I've been busy enough with other series and RL stuff that I haven't fallen to temptation and bought a volume when I've only had the chance to read one chapter, but I will if it doesn't go on catchup by the end of the summer, or if it does and I really like it I'll put it on my "to buy when I have more money / saved credits" list.