Manga Ebook FAQ (UPDATE: 21 August 2019 - KINDLE BOOKS ONLINE)

• Premium Member

Well, we made it to June and publishing the first round of manga Ebooks. Thanks to everyone for your patience while we get things going. Please post key questions you have in this thread, and I'll add to/update this post as necessary.

Q1: Where can I buy J-Novel Manga Ebooks?
    A1: Our books are available on Comixology, Bookwalker, Google Play, iBooks, Kobo, and Amazon.

Q2: Why can't I see preorders on (store)?
    A2: This should (hopefully) be resolved with volume 2's onwards as they'll have a longer lead time.

Q3: What about premium editions? I've got credits to spend!
    A3: At the moment, there are no manga premium editions. This may change in future if we can get DRM-Free distribution approval, but will be on a title by title basis. Please note that no additional content will be in any premium editions vs. the standard ebook.

Q4: The site says I can get premium.
    A4: This is a known bug with the site. We're working on a way to disable premium when it's not available and apologise for the inconvenience and confusion.

Q5: No Nook?
    A5: Sorry. Our setup with Nook doesn't support comics.

Q6: Do the Ebooks have all the Japanese extras (colour pages, omake, etc.)?
    A6: Short of coming with a dust jacket, yes. Check out the full list here.

Q7: Will upcoming print editions have dust jackets?
    A7: Not at this time.

Q8: It sounds like all these stores have different rules. Where am I best off spending my money?
    A8: You should buy from the store best suited to your region and device requirements. If raw pixellage is your requirement OR you like the idea of Guided View for reading on small screens, go with ComiXology. If you have limited bandwidth or are reading primarily on eInk, buy from Kobo as their upload limits make for fewer issues with the screentones. iBooks, Bookwalker, and Google Play all hit a sweet spot in the middle, with Bookwalker and Google allowing for a slightly higher resolution. If you want to give J-Novel the most support possible, buy anywhere besides Amazon, who pay a significantly lower royalty percentage (as well as "optimise" the books in ways we can't control for).

Q9: What kind of filesizes are we talking about here? My bandwidth's capped.
    A9: Kobo editions are below 100MB. iBooks, Google, and Bookwalker editions are between 180 and 250MB. The files we uploaded to ComiXology were between 280 and 400MB, though it is likely they are subsequently recompressed or adjusted as part of the ComiXology secret sauce. Amazon books vary wildly based on how they recompress and resize the images on a page-by-page basis.

Q10: Will manga expire after the epub is out like novels?
    A10: Yes and no. Yes, they will expire, but no, they won't stick around as long after street date due to the longer preorder period.

• @exedore said in Manga Ebook FAQ (June 2019):

Q5: No Kindle?
    A5: Not directly, but Comixology will theoretically make a kindle version available, being part of the Amazon family and all.

The way I have understood it, if I buy a manga on Kindle I gain access to a copy on comiXology.

I was under the impression that it doesn’t work the other way around, and when you buy it on comiXology it will only be accessible through comiXology.

Has that policy changed, and eventually the comiXology purchases will also show up on my kindle?

• Premium Member

@Rahul-Balaggan

The way I have understood it, if I buy a manga on Kindle I gain access to a copy on comiXology.

I was under the impression that it doesn’t work the other way around, and when you buy it on comiXology it will only be accessible through comiXology.

Has that policy changed, and eventually the comiXology purchases will also show up on my kindle?

We'll find out soon enough when it actually goes live tomorrow. The documentation we had to work with is... sparse, shall we say?

• Premium Member

If Premium ever does happen, Sam should go after at least the Overlap bonuses. Cause Overlap does include stuff like bonus illustrations and sometimes even LN short-stories for their manga adaptations.

• Premium Member

@aruseus493 That's already being included in the standard ebook editions.

• Premium Member

@exedore Oh really? That's interesting.

@exedore does that mean they have bonus content not found in the prepubs? Could we get a list or something?

• Premium Member

@exedore Can you comment on the image quality/file size restrictions of the various stores?

@jaquobus they talked about it on Discord, but Kobo has a file limit of 100 Mb, which is the lowest quality. iBooks is moderately better. Google Play and Bookwalker have really good file limits, and Comixology will be the highest quality.
    TLDR: Kobo < iBooks < Google Play = Bookwalker < Comixology

• Premium Member

@legitpancake said in Manga Ebook FAQ (June 2019):

iBooks is moderately better. Google Play and Bookwalker have really good file limits, and Comixology will be the highest quality.

iBooks is significantly better than Kobo. The issue is that they have a max vertical res of 2360px vs. Google/Bookwalker at 2560px.

• Premium Member

Updated the main post with store info and created a listing post with various volume extras. I'll keep it updated as new volumes get wrapped up.

Assuming you get DRM-Free distribution approval on some titles - what quality / resolution have you planned for the premium editions?

• Premium Member

@pegasolo I can't comment on premium versions because I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I can expand a little on quality: the images themselves are JPEGs, at quality of 93 when color and 90 when black & white. Subsampling disabled, b/w images are 8bpp (grayscale).

Ideally if premium exists, the option to download at multiple resolutions and/or formats would be ideal. I would assume that the same maximum resolution as what is being sent out to publishers would apply, which is 3840px height images. Personally, I really appreciate the HQ for background details in Animeta for example

• Premium Member

@legitpancake said in Manga Ebook FAQ (June 2019):

@jaquobus they talked about it on Discord, but Kobo has a file limit of 100 Mb, which is the lowest quality.

Interesting - I've downloaded some 120+ MB books from there uploaded by Seven Seas. I guess the rules are different for the self-publishing option than for "real publishers"?

Google Play and Bookwalker have really good file limits, and Comixology will be the highest quality.

That may be what you uploaded for Google Play, but in my experience the downloads on PC are downsampled to sub-Kobo-sized.

Doesn't sound like anything I can put on my Kindle is going to be great quality - DRM-free or bust, at least until I run out of Yen Press manga to read. ;)

• Premium Member

@hamsterexastris If that's the case, I'd recommend buying from Bookwalker or Apple, as my upload with the latter specifically popped up a warning asking if I really wanted to push a file over 200MB as some users may have trouble downloading something that large - it sounds like they don't recompress.

• Premium Member

I don't think I can see any new manga on the Kindle store? What can I look for?

• @nosgoroth

Don’t think it will be on kindle anytime soon:

alt text

• Premium Member

@nosgoroth did you not read this thread? Your question is answered in Q5.

• Premium Member

@legitpancake It's answered in Q5 now because of an edit made after I posted my question. You can check the edit history, but previously the answer to Q5 said that maybe Comixology would make a Kindle copy available.

I did read the thread, I assure you.