(New) Beta App Feedback
@chocolatkey nice, didn't know this...if this stays...maybe remove the confirmation? Also, in addition to the ← that goes back to releases, maybe have an ↑ that goes to that series main page.
@chocolatkey Oh I must have missed the memo on long presses, thank you ^^
As it is, I'd throw in my vote for long press taking us to the series rather than volume page, since we can go series->volume but not volume->series with the current layout options. Khaos's suggestion to be able to pick between going to releases or to series from a specific volume would also work.
Version 0.4.0+7 should now be available on iOS, coming soon to Android. Fixes include:
- Long press novel images to show in pannable/zoomable format
- Reader settings dialog doesn't break anymore when size is constrained
- Top/bottom bar in reader is overlaid on top of content, instead of reducing space
- Reduced lag when hiding/showing novel reader UI bars
- System text scaling is ignored for novel text, and does not scale excessively
- Display notches don't cut off novel content anymore
- Option for reading manga LTR
- Improve manga zooming
- Part progress now syncs correctly after changing parts
- Manga correctly resumes where you left off
- Resume reading where left off after app is killed
- Handling of 410 and 401 errors (authorization)
- Reader last page is shown in novels too, and buttons work
- Series filtering state is saved
Android Beta app issues:
The next part button doesn't seem to be working for me while reading manga (at least volume 1 of Discommunication I can't get it to go to the next part when pressing it).
I also have a weird glitch thing where Select to Speak (it's an on screen button that lets you play text as audio) doesn't play the text that the STS button is obscuring. This sounds kind of sensible when you think about it, but it doesn't occur in other apps I've used it with (specifically, the old JNC app; you could have the button obscuring a ton of lines, and they'd still be read.
The other text to speech option, Talkback, plays the entire part as a single big block of text, which is problematic because you can't pause or skip back / forward to another line, or start in the middle with that. Only Select to Speak is working for starting in the middle.
I know it's listed as a feature that needs fixing so this is probably covered, but I would really like it if the paragraphs weren't as spaced out as it is if I shrink the size and margins down. Want basically minimal / no spacing between paragraphs as an option.
Again, I have no clue if these accessibility things can be solved or not, but if they do get solved, this app will be perfect for me.
This post is deleted!
@Terrence at least TTS works somewhat on Android. It’s not available in the latest release on iOS
@Terrence The latest version for Android hasn't been released yet, it's taking longer than usual, I expect it to be live tomorrow. It solves issue #1. As for the TTS, I haven't looked into it yet, other essential features come first. Could you please show an example of these paragraphs with too much space in between them?
On the original app, you could do no spacing between paragraphs.
On the new app, even with everything to the smallest and tightest sizes like this text size at 20% and line spacing to 0.8, the paragraphs are still pretty separated.
I just want an option to have as much text as I can get on the screen at once, so single spacing / no spacing between paragraphs option would be great.
Version 0.4.0 is still not approved for Android, and we're working on getting that fixed. There's a possibility Android just might have to skip straight to 0.5.0 when it comes out
@Terrence requested noted, might add an advanced option to change paragraph spacing
I'm a newcomer to j-novel.club, I wasn't able to make the old app work properly on my iPad (iPad 5th Gen, 13.4.1). I found out about the new app (0.4.0) in the forums while searching for help. I decided to give it a try. Here are some my observations after a few hours.
- Minimizing the app and returning later doesn't always restore the proper progression in a part (I went back to an earlier milestone)
- Time and battery icons are erratic when reading a light novel. They appear properly in the overlay when first entering the novel from the selection menus, but not subsequently. If it helps, I used vertical scrolling.
- Text is way too bright in the two dark themes.
- General lack of help and documentation.
- A system to add icons (Favourites, Important, Unimportant, PWP, etc..) or notes to story parts would be appreciated
- Scrolling mode icons are inverted (?)
- Putting the type filter and the story sort under search isn't intuitive
- Series sorting is not saved between sessions (app restart)
- Either make login more important or store read part when anonymous
- For a WIP still far from release, it is very pleasant to use
I see that if we use the Next Part button to navigate to the next part when reading the chapter, the new part is not marked as read(Green coloured Entry on volume page). Can we fix this as well? issue is more prominent when you start reading a new series and close the app in-between, it kinda makes it hard to figure out where you left.
Is the manga supposed to continue from where you left off too? Cause on Android, it shows you what page you last read before you click on the part, but then the part starts on page 1 (I know most folks probably are reading a whole part before stopping though, so very minor concern if anything).
@Terrence which app version are you on?
It was v0.3.0
@Terrence then you'll have to wait for 0.4.0, which fixed that (
Manga correctly resumes where you left off) among other things. We still haven't been able to release it for Android due to a rejected submission
I didn't see this issue posted, but when reading pre-pubs on the android app, if you finish a part and go back to the part list for the volume, it will show your progress in the part, but if you hit the next button it doesn't record where you left off and forgets your progress.
I'd really love to see a toggleable option on the Releases page to show upcoming releases (I think a limit of 1 or at most 2 days would work) with a countdown, similar to the scroll on the current JNC main webpage, but making it also affected by the "following" filter.
So I was just looking through the thread here, but I didn't seem to see anything.
Was there any information about support for devices with E-Ink displays? (Something akin to the Onyx Book line)
I know that being able to access the app through that type of screen would be a BIG selling point for me. It is an incredibly niche market, but it's definitely a solid idea.
I imagine that would just involve limiting the amount of animations, no? No fancy scrolling, or page turning. Just kind of -tap- page -tap- next page.
-Note: Is currently living on incredibly old Nook, and is looking to move to a more modern solution.
Right now, on the site the Mapping manga part doesn't go live for another 2 hours, but on the beta app it's available now.
Hey guys! I love the app so far, it's a lot easier to use and a lot easier to read with. It has been very used friendly with Android accessibility screen reader and in general. However one day I went to open up the app and check on the new updates, all I got was an error message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and all other solutions I could think of. Does anyone know why I keep getting this error?!