Can Someone Please Explain What’s Going On?! - Corrections Topic

• Staff

This is the dedicated topic for posting suggested corrections for Can Someone Please Explain What's Going On?!

Currently in prepublication: Volume 5! - link to discussion topic

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 1:

• [Generic] There's 8 paragraphs that start with the double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>. 😋
    • [6%] And.... ► It should be 3 periods.
    • [10%] about how I felt—he’d just did his own thing. He really ► It should be done?
    • [17%] Maybe he’d been made our night as short and normal ► Remove been.
    • [31%] straight into the spotlight as a “Duchess”, whether she ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [61%] make sure the rubies stay rare.If all goes well, the ► Missing space.
    • [76%] Guh?” Mr Fisalis. must have been really surprised, ► It should be Mr. Fisalis (move the period). Also, see generic issue above.
    • [76%] he repeated what he’d said, giving me a puzzled look. ► It should be I’d (Viola's POV; Cercis repeats what Viola said).
    • [80%] popular in Rohze as ‘Viola Sapphires’, we’re totally ► Move the comma inside the quotes.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 2:

• [8%] your face, they call you the ‘Illusory Belle’.” ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [12%] is painful. If I’m “illusory”, then I’m gonna ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [23%] Rather than “bright”, maybe “blinding” was ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [57%] Ah, I guess I’m just a little light-headed from ► The starting double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 3:

• [Generic] The name Le Pied is also written as La Pied (with an A) sometimes. Only once in this part, but there's more instances in previous parts, too.
    • [Generic] There's 13 paragraphs that start with the double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>. 😋
    • [1%] head a bit inland from the harbor to the base of . ► It should be of the hill?
    • [14%] my eyes off of him and glanced down.... Heart ► It should be 3 periods.
    • [15%] that if I was riding with Stelaria or Rosa instead, ► It should be Stellaria.
    • [18%] see from the Le Coeur one, butyou could still get ► It should be but you (space).
    • [25%] “Yep, we’re boarding right now,” Mr. Fissalis said, ► It should be Fisalis.
    • [30%] and being on the huge ocean insuch a tiny craft ► It should be in such (space).
    • [31%] was basically a sheer rock wall . What would ► Remove space.
    • [32%] Was there a cave down there or something? ► No dialogue here. Remove the closing double quote.
    • [35%] handle the timing, so please duck....now,” the ► It should be 3 periods.
    • [40%] Do it,” he said, signalling to the rower. I looked ► It should be signaling (US spelling).
    • [41%] “Isn’t it stunning?” Mr. Fisalis pulled me close, ► Considering the use of breathtaking later on, wouldn't it make more sense to use it here, too?
    • [44%] something like “You can dance anywhere”, so ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [56%] And it was a thick book, too, so really hurt! ► It should be it really.
    • [66%] highest quality ones ‘Viola Eyes’, didn’t he!? ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [68%] biggest and best colored ones ‘Viola Eyes’.” ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [69%] good quality will be called ‘Viola Sapphires’.” ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [70%] “We’ll work even harder to dig up qualitygems!” ► It should be quality gems (space).
    • [82%] ◆◆◆Idle Asides, No. 1 — Days Waiting at Home◆◆◆ ► Previous prepubs used a different character: ✦✦✦.
    • [88%] “You’re right” ► Missing punctuation.
    • [98%] have the two of you been there?”; A maid asked ► Remove semicolon.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 4:

• [Generic] There's 8 paragraphs that start with the double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>. 😋
    • [9%] “Welcome home, Cersis, Viola!” ► It should be Cercis.
    • [22%] in high demand soon?” Father Fisalis an eyebrow, only to ► It should be raised an eyebrow?
    • [27%] sapphires will be called ‘Viola Sapphires’, and only the ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [27%] best of those will be granted the title of ‘Viola Eyes’.” ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [28%] When she heard about the ‘Viola Eyes’, she clapped her ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [34%] “This isn’t one of those ‘Viola Sapphires’, is it? Ahh, too ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [36%] look tells me they know all about the ‘Viola Eyes’, too... ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [38%] “I’ve been transfered,” he announced happily after our ► It should be transferred.
    • [39%] that’s different from getting transfered, isn’t it? What does ► It should be transferred.
    • [46%] undercover team for too long Once we’d considered the ► Missing period.
    • [53%] the kingdom in military affairs.The Argenteia family ► Missing space.
    • [56%] continued on. Let’s leave aside the topic of my transfer. ► The starting double quote (alone) is in italic format.
    • [57%] transfer. Especially since Celosia himself invited us.... ► It should be 3 periods.
    • [67%] I tried to shake my head no at Stellaria this time, but... ► It should be not.
    • [71%] Giving them gemstones a much more detailed inspection ► It should be the.
    • [74%] a serious responsibility, then! I pour my entire heart and ► It should be I will.
    • [76%] ✦✦✦Idle Asides: No. 2, Cercis’ Perspective — A Short ► It should be a comma, instead of a colon, to keep it consistent.
    • [79%] He led me to a less travelled corner of the garden. ► It should be traveled (US spelling).
    • [81%] watching Bellis plant those “andreanums”. I decided to ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [82%] bought for me in La Pied,” she explained, pointing to ► It should be Le Pied.
    • [83%] Ah, that’s right—his is where I planted the bulbs you got ► It should be this.
    • [85%] It healed all my irritation over how busy I’ve been lately. ► It should be I’d?

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 4

• [48%] wouldn’t make sense to keep the same undercover team for too long Once we’d considered need a period after long already reported
    • [74%] Giving them gemstones a much more detailed inspection the already reported
    • [74%] you can’t say that when we haven’t actually any dug up yet! I think this is correct grammar, but it sounds British. An American would say "haven't actually dug any up yet" or "haven't any actually dug up yet"
    • [88%] his is where I planted the bulbs you got me this already reported

Volume 5 Part 5

• 91%: "[...]how to use concealed weapons, so you can fight back with either.
      "concealed weapons!"

Missing end quote after "either", and "concealed" should be capitalized.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 5:

• [89%] After landing perfectly , he brushed the dust ► Remove space.
    • [91%] weapons, so you can fight back with either. ► The dialogue's closing double quote is missing. Already reported.
    • [91%] “concealed weapons!!” ► It should be Concealed (Capitalized). Already reported.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 6:

• [Generic] There's 2 paragraphs that start with the double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>. 😋
    • [47%] family never needed to worry about any of this, sorry!. ► Duplicate punctuation.
    • [51%] “practice” and more “getting the skill beat into me”. ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [65%] “Yes. Rohtas about on that level. Actually, when Master ► It should be Rohtas is.
    • [69%] ► These 3 dialogues' starting double quotes are all wrongly closing ones.
    ”Oww, oww! Why are you digging in so hard!?” I complained to the rope directly, angry at it.
    ”No, don’t do that! Trying to force it will have the opposite effect. Relax!” Stellaria cried, rushing to untie me. I’m saved!
    [...]
    ”Now, just try again.”

• [75%] I only ever realized that I’d fallen into his trap afterwards. ► It should be traps (plural) since it happens multiple times.
    • [80%] the duchy (probably written by Rohtas himself.) They ► Move the period outside the parentheses.
    • [82%] showcases the beauty of the ‘Viola Sapphire’. This will ► Move the period inside the quotes.

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 6

• [1%] Carthas was chosen because he was fairly average-sized Cartham
    • [68%] because of the pain and how boring this all ways. was

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 7:

• [Generic] There's 2 paragraphs that start with the double quote (alone) in italic format : <p><em>“</em>. 😋
    • [7%] show them off! Otherwise , I wouldn’t be able ► Remove space.
    • [15%] they used that to make a ombre pattern—” ► It should be an.
    • [28%] about it being “just for us”, but I ignored ► Move the comma inside the quotes.
    • [38%] a lot of emphasis on “that finger”. Why? ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [63%] the best choice. Since I didn‘t know who ► It should be didn’t (different ).

• Premium Member

Volume 5 - Part 8:

• [4%] I’ve actually become the Vice-Captain, in fact. ► It should be Vice Captain (no hyphen).
    • [4%] “As do I. Hahaha! ► The dialogue's closing double quote is missing.
    • [7%] I think I got ‘em sparkling prettily. How’s that? ► It should be ’em (different ).
    • [10%] bashfulness!), Mr. Fisalis didn‘t even blink. ► It should be didn’t (different ).
    • [40%] The other two were wearing simple dresses, ► It should be are.
    • [56%] is...” I jumped at the sudden jab. Loves”!? ► The starting double quote alone isn't in italic format.
    • [57%] Miss Verbena’s incredible change.) We also ► Move the period outside the parentheses.
    • [71%] for larger jewelry. Mine had more of a cute ► It should be has.
    • [74%] It’s not like I wanted them.... No! I should ► It should be 3 periods.