The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic

• Staff

This is the dedicated topic for posting suggested corrections for The Great Cleric.

Currently in prepublication: Volume 1

• Premium Member

Part 2, 6%: ". . . into one's magic, one' scontrol will improve." -> the space is in the wrong spot, should be one's control

Part 2, 59%: ". . . guess we'll take you to the guild,". -> replace the comma with a period, and delete the period outside of the quotation mark

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 1:

• [24%] ► The stats have no spacing, add 5 line breaks. Also, this status is indented differently compared to the other one.
        Name: Unspecified
        Job: Unspecified
        Level: 1
        HP (Health Points): 200MP (Magic Points): 50
        STR (Strength): 20VIT (Vitality): 20
        DEX (Dexterity): 20AGI (Agility): 20
        INT (Intelligence): 20MGI (Magic): 20
        RMG (Resistance to Magic): 20SP (Skill Points): 100
        SKILLS
        None
        TITLES
        None

• [33%] Comes down to luck, huh?“ I sat down and contemplated ► The dialogue's closing double quote is wrongly a starting one.
    • [48-49%] ► Both stats & skills have no spacing, add 7 line breaks.
    HP: 200MP: 50
    STR: 20VIT: 20
    DEX: 20AGI: 20
    INT: 20MGI: 20
    RMG: 20SP: 0
    Magic Affinity: Holy
    SKILLS
    Assess Mastery IMonster Luck I
    Martial Arts IMagic Control I

• [91%] over the course of your three year study. However, ► It should be three-year (hyphen).
    • [99%] I could emerge as not just as some chore-doer, but ► Duplicate as.

===

Volume 1 - Part 2:

• [6%] clearly into one’s magic, one’ scontrol will improve. ► It should be one’s control (move space). Already reported.
    • [53%] first impression, guess we’ll take you to the guild,”. ► Move the period inside the quotes and remove the comma. Already reported.
    • [71%] guild took ten percent of that for operation purposes. ► It should be operational / operating?
    • [73%] had a question—can adventurer’s themselves make ► It should be adventurers.

• Premium Member

Please fix the badly formatted skill pages. Without separating the skills from each other they're very difficult to read.

• Staff

@mlindner

I deleted your comment in the discussion topic, as you posted it here.

• Premium Member

For the status, I believe a table would be better. I purchased the comic and his status page will become unmanageable if it is one per line.

• Editors

Thanks, guys! We'll inform the folks who handle the prepub of the formatting problems with the skill list. They should have it fixed soon. Appreciate the heads-up! :-)

• Staff

This is a larger conversation we need to have internally about formatting for these kinds of RPG status pages, but I've added some spacing so that it's easier to read for now.

• Premium Member

@myskaros said in The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic:

This is a larger conversation we need to have internally about formatting for these kinds of RPG status pages, but I've added some spacing so that it's easier to read for now.

Why not just use the formatting that's used in the original book? I'm not sure why you need to reinvent the wheel.

• Editors

@mlindner The thing is, Japanese text and formatting is so different from English that it's tricky to adapt that type of layout and spacing to our own alphabet and style of writing. It can't be exactly the same because of how differently our alphabets and layouts work. But as Myskaros said, they'll need to sit down and hammer out a general approach (perhaps with standardized tables) for this type of thing so that it's consistent in the future!

• Premium Member

@reesen said in The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic:

@mlindner The thing is, Japanese text and formatting is so different from English that it's tricky to adapt that type of layout and spacing to our own alphabet and style of writing. It can't be exactly the same because of how differently our alphabets and layouts work. But as Myskaros said, they'll need to sit down and hammer out a general approach (perhaps with standardized tables) for this type of thing so that it's consistent in the future!

Are you talking about monospace fonts for alignment? Because English has those, also you have simple HTML to help you with that as well even without monospace fonts. I fail to see what the difficulty here is.

• Staff

@mlindner said in The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic:

Why not just use the formatting that's used in the original book? I'm not sure why you need to reinvent the wheel.

Because the Japanese book is vertical, right-to-left text.

• Premium Member

@mlindner
    If they followed the JP format it would look like this:

H
    P
    :

It's because all JP novels are from Up-Down and Right-Left.

So yeah, JNC needs to reinvent the wheel for people who don't use the Kanji/Chinese writing system.

• Premium Member

@myskaros said in The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic:

@mlindner said in The Great Cleric - Corrections Topic:

Because the Japanese book is vertical, right-to-left text.

Oh weird. I've never seen RPG stats written vertically like that. I assumed they followed Japanese game formatting for RPG stats.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 3:

• [22%] A burgeoning change.Where at first I had only felt ► Missing space.

• Premium Member

Volume 1, Part 4

75%: "It's only been a month, but I've been improving . . ." -> Should be week, as the text earlier says it's been a week already but he'll need a full month to finish training.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 5:

• [16%] that’ll at least give ‘em pause. Something to ► It should be ’em (different ).
    • [20%] ’cause you tossed some shit at a bullseye!?” ► This series uses ?! usually.
    • [69%] got a magical tool that the Time Sage made. ► It should be Sage of Time to keep it consistent?
    • [74%] just not noticing it. And you're not the first ► It should be you’re (different ).