The Magician Who Rose From Failure - Corrections Topic

• Staff

This is the dedicated topic for posting suggested corrections for The Magician Who Rose From Failure.

Currently in prepublication: Volume 1

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 1:

• [Generic] There's 5 instances of ‘Cause / ‘cause that should be ’Cause / ’cause (different ).
    • [14%] was an abhorrent way to treat a six-year old. In her ► It should be six-year-old (hyphen).
    • [28%] that man’s eyes. He wasbullied through elementary ► It should be was bullied (space).
    • [31%] was when he was a normal six year old. If he could ► It should be six-year-old (hyphens).
    • [55%] “Not even me. ‘Specially ‘The Prophecy of Shadows.’” ► It should be ’Specially (different ).
    • [56%] to it; I’ll get one of my servants to get the rest later. ► The dialogue's closing double quote is missing.
    • [64%] “Yeah, ‘course.” ► It should be ’course (different ).
    • [75%] promise me you won’t try and use any of it yet, ‘kay?” ► It should be ’kay (different ).
    • [79%] you really don’t talk like a normal six-year old. It’s like ► It should be six-year-old (hyphen).
    • [92%] “You are nothing but a nuisance!”Joshua spat, enraged. ► Missing space.
    • [97%] to wipe the Raytheft name from the face of the Earth. ► Is this world called Earth too then? If not a more generic world would work better here.

===

Volume 1 - Part 2:

• [Generic] There's 7 instances of a duplicate dash -- in this part.
    • [Generic] There's 3 instances (out of 18 total) where Sorcerer’s Silver is shortened to Silver. I thought it might be a way to shorten the long name at first, but after those 3 the full name Sorcerer’s Silver is being used again.
    • [1%] also gave off an feminine impression of femininity. ► It should be a.
    • [2%] It wasn’t normal for an eight-year old to be this far ► It should be eight-year-old (hyphen).
    • [5%] a magic circle, and a spear of flame pierced through ► It uses flames (plural) later on.
    • [11%] special class of prohibitively expensive “Seal Arms”. ► Move the period inside the quotes.
    • [40%] were rare—e had hoped to catch his opponent off ► It should be he.
    • [45%] the phrase ‘incinerate the darkness’,” Arcus ► Move the comma inside the single quotes.
    • [45%] Beside them, the kidnapper let out a intrigued hum. ► It should be an.
    • [66%] when he practiced kneading. He held inside him ► It should be held it.
    • [74%] but so were any eight-year old’s. Arcus waited ► It should be eight-year-old’s (hyphen).
    • [87%] light. Flustered, Lecia began to gather it all lup. ► It should be up.

• Premium Member

Will this series be using British English or American English? There were two instances of storey in Part 2 (18% and 47%); it should be story (or stories, plural) if it's American English. Otherwise, carry on ^^

• Premium Member

@MasterLillyclaw Sam at some point said they'd try and keep to American English generally, which is why I usually report British English words when I see them.

Stor(e)y seems interesting so far. Sure, yet another isekai to add to my plate, but I like (interesting) magic systems, and exploring them, so this is right up my alley.

• Translators

This post is deleted!

• Premium Member

Part 3 - 76%:

Arcus mused allowed

Should be "aloud".

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 3:

• [11%] first prototype of the aethometer was a success,. ► Remove extra comma.
    • [15%] to see Arcus; he had likely already been warned . ► Remove extra space.
    • [37%] aether or any more accurately,. Again and again ► Remove extra comma.
    • [39%] a bad taste in Arcus’ mouth from he knew of war in ► It should be from what?
    • [46%] Artglyphs swirled up around him,forming a magic ► Missing space.
    • [69%] you attempted just before I used my Scrapped A--” ► Duplicate dash.
    • [80%] immaculate black gloves. A rapierlay at his hip. ► It should be rapier lay (space).
    • [90%] “Yes, s-- I mean, all right. It’s nice to meet you.” ► Duplicate dash.
    • [95%] I trusted fully in his judgement. So far, I have not ► It should be judgment (US spelling).

• Premium Member

37%: whether it could measure larger amounts of aether or any more accurately,. -> with the same accuracy. (also check the ,. at the end)
    93%: You talk too casually to him, too, [...] I think you could stand to loosen up a little -> formally (I don't think Noah was particularly blase with his words towards arcus before now and Craib followed it up by telling him to loosen up, so I'm pretty sure "casually" is wrong here)

• Premium Member

Vol. 1, 3:

67%: ...not with his memories of refined sugars, corn syrup, and benzene rings for comparison. >> Unless there is a benzene sweet of which I am unaware, having a carcinogen in this list seems odd.

72%: Thanks to her, he could read some of the he struggled with before,... >> Missing word

• Editors

@Benzened
    Hi there! I'm Will, I edit the series.
    The bit about benzene rings was actually a deliberate choice in the localization—they're a common component of many artificial fruit flavor formulations.

• Editors

@Vorthod Thanks for pointing these out! The phrasing in that first sentence needed a little fine-tuning—it wasn't super clear that it's supposed to be two separate things he's trying to achieve with separate experiments, re: the larger amounts/greater accuracy thing.

• Premium Member

@Will-Holcomb Gotcha. Yeah, I can see that interpretation of the sentence now. At least the double-punctuation has a clear correction.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 4:

• [8%] ► The way the mana is measured in this line is really confusing and with no apparent logic: 1 part (4 words) with 1 mana value; 1 part (2 words) with 1 mana value; 1 part (4 words) with 5 mana values [this one is also all Capitalized unlike the others]; 3 parts (4 words) with 3 mana values. It might make sense in the original content, but translated to English it should probably be adjusted or explained somehow.
    (“Shattered shards of ice” = 70 mana; “Chilling wind” = 50 mana; “Depths of Glistening Hell” = 40 mana + 50 mana + 60 mana + 70 mana + 80 mana. “Soldiers,” “Chariot wheels,” “Halt” = 30, 10, 20 mana respectively) = 480 mana total.

• [17%] an invention it was, calling it “marvellous” and going ► It should be marvelous (US spelling).
    • [42%] “So, what is this--” Godwald began. ► Duplicate dash.
    • [70%] “You said they disinherited you ‘cause your aether was ► It should be ’cause (different ).
    • [84%] “Yup! Don’t worry, either, ‘cause you’ll have me to cheer ► It should be ’cause (different ).
    • [86%] “Well, I--” Suddenly Sue’s expression hardened again. ► Duplicate dash.
    • [88%] status quo, and the only solution was to rise up and-- ► Duplicate dash.
    • [98%] “Aww, but--” ► Duplicate dash.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 4:

[26%] It's black, four-storey building was close to the palace ► Should it be four-story (US Spelling)?
    [40%] Goldwald said, a little more harshly than he intended ► Should be Godwald