The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic

• Staff

This is the dedicated topic for posting suggested corrections for The Ideal Sponger Life.

Currently in prepublication: Volume 1!

• Premium Member

In the intermission chapter 1, Queen Aura referred to Zenjirou as a "nightbird", but are there any birds on the whole continent? Later, they talk about flying dragons/drakes, but I don't recall any no mentions of avians.

My understanding of Japanese is basic, but I think that she says "Muko-dono wa zuibun to yoru ni tsuyoi youda."
    "Groom-dono seems to be surprisingly strong to the night."

Jisho.org returns the following responses to the phrase "night owl"
    宵っぱり
    夜型人間
    昼夜逆転生活
    深夜族
    Which don't match the phrase "yoru ni tsuyoi".

The evidence suggests that just calling Zenjirou a late sleeper would be preferable to Aura calling him a nightbird.

@thubar2000 said in The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic:

In the intermission chapter 1, Queen Aura referred to Zenjirou as a "nightbird", but are there any birds on the whole continent? Later, they talk about flying dragons/drakes, but I don't recall any no mentions of avians.

My understanding of Japanese is basic, but I think that she says "Muko-dono wa zuibun to yoru ni tsuyoi youda."
    "Groom-dono seems to be surprisingly strong to the night."

Jisho.org returns the following responses to the phrase "night owl"
    宵っぱり
    夜型人間
    昼夜逆転生活
    深夜族
    Which don't match the phrase "yoru ni tsuyoi".

The evidence suggests that just calling Zenjirou a late sleeper would be preferable to Aura calling him a nightbird.

The original phrase is simply 夜に強い; is literally "strong with night" meaning he can stay up late. "Night owl" would be a perfect translation for this.

EDIT: XXX に強い means one has resistance/tolerance to XXX. i.e. 酒に強い means you can drink a lot without getting drunk.

• Premium Member

@hiroto Under normal circumstances, but the speaker probably has never seen a bird or avian in her life.

• Premium Member

Chapter 1 a negligee is primarily known as sexy women's wear. A nightgown was worn by men and women back in the day.

@thubar2000 said in The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic:

@hiroto Under normal circumstances, but the speaker probably has never seen a bird or avian in her life.

There is constant debate of should translation be cleansed of vocabulary or expression which doesn't exist in that world. Good examples from bookworm are "paperwork" in the world where only parchment or wood tablets exist, or "blueprint", where such technology does not exist.

If you stay away from such vocabulary for the reason; "does not exist in isekai", it just makes the translation way too limiting.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 1:

• [16%] changes to be reversed. Should the circumstances ► Remove extra starting double quote. The dialogue is already open/continues from before.
    • [20%] without warning, and might well be as a tyrant to ► It should be might as well be?
    • [30%] they could be together It sounds rather romantic, ► Missing period.
    • [41%] must bid farewell to. transferal magic is influenced ► It should be Transferal (Capitalized).
    • [41%] correct until tomorrow night.After that, the stars ► Missing space.

===

Volume 1 - Part 2:

• [7%] bugs essentially had free reign to enter. ► It should be rein.
    • [32%] “Its, well... something to look forward to ► It should be It’s.
    • [67%] micro-hydroelectric generators.The call ► Missing space.

• Translators

@Terabyte said in The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic:

Volume 1 - Part 1:

• [16%] changes to be reversed. Should the circumstances ► Remove extra starting double quote. The dialogue is already open/continues from before.
    • [20%] without warning, and might well be as a tyrant to ► It should be might as well be?
    • [30%] they could be together It sounds rather romantic, ► Missing period.
    • [41%] must bid farewell to. transferal magic is influenced ► It should be Transferal (Capitalized).
    • [41%] correct until tomorrow night.After that, the stars ► Missing space.

===

Volume 1 - Part 2:

• [7%] bugs essentially had free reign to enter. ► It should be rein.
    • [32%] “Its, well... something to look forward to ► It should be It’s.
    • [67%] micro-hydroelectric generators.The call ► Missing space.

All of these apart from the tyrant thing have been changed, it's supposed to sound a bit stilted and formal, but I think it's still understandable and sets the tone nicely.

(Overlooked the capitalisation thing because I thought you were talking about a different issue)

@thubar2000 with regards to the bird thing, there's two fronts to it. One being that in future volumes birds etc are explicitly mentioned, and the other that it's clearly a world that has followed at least a similar path of evolution to Earth, so assuming that there are avians as well as reptiles doesn't strike me as a stretch. I actually avoided night owl for exactly that reason, seeing as I can't assume there are owls but likely can birds in general.

• Premium Member

@MPT said in The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic:

@thubar2000 with regards to the bird thing, there's two fronts to it. One being that in future volumes birds etc are explicitly mentioned, and the other that it's clearly a world that has followed at least a similar path of evolution to Earth, so assuming that there are avians as well as reptiles doesn't strike me as a stretch. I actually avoided night owl for exactly that reason, seeing as I can't assume there are owls but likely can birds in general.

Birds and Dinosaurs
    source

• Editors

@Gamen I love the graphic, although I don't think I would really call birds "dinosaurs" XD

But they are certainly descended from a sort of prehistoric overlapping avian/reptilian animal group. T-Rex and Velociraptor definitely have chicken-like builds and proportions but they were pretty much their own nightmarish thing (I do love the idea of feathered rather than scaley dinos, personally...though sadly I think it's been proven that, while velociraptor probably was terrifying poofball, T-Rex had scales; at least its arms are amusingly chickeny, though).

Anyway, the point is, there is no reason to assume that some variation of bird doesn't exist in other worlds, unless it's specifically stated (i.e. protagonist mentions a bird and the locals respond with "what the heck is that"). So using very general terms like "night bird" should usually be acceptable.

Also, I'm going to say this is the type of conversation that could probably go onto the main volume thread in the future, since it's more of a general translation/worldbuilding discussion rather than a typo/technical fix, which is (I believe, myskaros can correct me if I'm wrong) what this thread is ideally for :-)

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone!

• Premium Member

@hiroto That makes sense considering the blistering pace of the translations.

I suppose that my years in engineering are showing.

Thanks for the reply.

• Premium Member

V1P1 5%:
    along with a five hundred milliliter bottle of chilled tea.
    Suggest shortening this to half-liter bottle, rather than spelling it out.

• Editors

@SomeOldGuy Good call XD
    We did that in the second part but must have overlooked it in the first!

Prologue: In Another World for His First Weekend Off in Six Months
    Trying to imitate the nice compact format by @Terabyte.

[2%] One that he was, for once, not spending at work. He had woken up at his usual time to make sure that he got the most out of his day off— ► insert “... for once in last half a year,..” 今日は半年ぶりの休日出勤がない

[2%] It also let him know, seeing as the food had not yet cooled down nor the tea warmed up, that he had not, in fact, lost consciousness and had instead been moved somewhere instantaneously. ► “... somewhere faraway.” どこか遠くに運び込まれたというわけでもなさそうだ. He deduced that he wasn't moved over a long distance while he was unconscious, in that case, the food should be cold.

[2%] He’d been pedaling through Kanto in Japan until mere moments ago. ► “... pedaling somewhere in the Kanto region of Japan…” 日本の関東圏で、自転車を漕いでいた. Doesn’t “pedaling through Kanto” sound like he is on a long distance bike ride through Kanto, which is a large area where Tokyo is a tiny part of it? This is just an obscure reference to where he is in Japan.

[2%] She looked to be in her twenties, ► “her mid-twenties.” 年の頃は二十代の中頃くらいだろうか. Later, he thinks “or little older”, which should put her in upper-twenties and not thirties.

[2%] The valley of her breasts visible through that V boasted a chest more worthy of the moniker “huge breasts” than just simply “big ones,” and her waist was as narrow as her chest was prominent. ► Her cleavage... Japanese don't have such a wonderful word and clumsily describe it as "the valley of breasts". https://jisho.org/word/胸の谷間

[2%] “dash drake” for the translation of 走竜 (running lizard) is really cool.

[2%] Regardless, the prince fell in love with someone he would not be allowed to marry given his position as heir to the throne, and his parents, the king and queen, would not be swayed. ► ... despite the objection of his parents, the king and queen.” 両親である王や王妃の説得にも耳をかさなかった
    It was his parents who were trying to sway the prince out of the marriage. Not the prince trying to sway them to agree to the marriage.

[16%] By the time he got home, he didn’t even have the energy to cook for himself, so his dinners on weekdays were either boxed meals from a convenience store or takeout. ► ... oreating out コンビニ弁当か外食

[42%] If you perused historical texts, you would see a great number of cases where the monarch’s spouse’s parents created major issues for the country. ► relatives 王の配偶者の親族 https://jisho.org/word/親族

• Translators

@hiroto said in The Ideal Sponger Life - Corrections Topic:

Prologue: In Another World for His First Weekend Off in Six Months

[2%] One that he was, for once, not spending at work. He had woken up at his usual time to make sure that he got the most out of his day off— ► insert “... for once in last half a year,..” 今日は半年ぶりの休日出勤がない

[2%] It also let him know, seeing as the food had not yet cooled down nor the tea warmed up, that he had not, in fact, lost consciousness and had instead been moved somewhere instantaneously. ► “... somewhere faraway.” どこか遠くに運び込まれたというわけでもなさそうだ. He deduced that he wasn't moved over a long distance while he was unconscious, in that case, the food should be cold.

[2%] He’d been pedaling through Kanto in Japan until mere moments ago. ► “... pedaling somewhere in the Kanto region of Japan…” 日本の関東圏で、自転車を漕いでいた. Doesn’t “pedaling through Kanto” sound like he is on a long distance bike ride through Kanto, which is a large area where Tokyo is a tiny part of it? This is just an obscure reference to where he is in Japan.

[2%] She looked to be in her twenties, ► “her mid-twenties.” 年の頃は二十代の中頃くらいだろうか. Later, he thinks “or little older”, which should put her in upper-twenties and not thirties.

[2%] The valley of her breasts visible through that V boasted a chest more worthy of the moniker “huge breasts” than just simply “big ones,” and her waist was as narrow as her chest was prominent. ► Her cleavage... Japanese don't have such a wonderful word and clumsily describe it as "the valley of breasts". https://jisho.org/word/胸の谷間

[2%] “dash drake” for the translation of 走竜 (running lizard) is really cool.

[2%] Regardless, the prince fell in love with someone he would not be allowed to marry given his position as heir to the throne, and his parents, the king and queen, would not be swayed. ► ... despite the objection of his parents, the king and queen.” 両親である王や王妃の説得にも耳をかさなかった
    It was his parents who were trying to sway the prince out of the marriage. Not the prince trying to sway them to agree to the marriage.

[16%] By the time he got home, he didn’t even have the energy to cook for himself, so his dinners on weekdays were either boxed meals from a convenience store or takeout. ► ... oreating out コンビニ弁当か外食

[42%] If you perused historical texts, you would see a great number of cases where the monarch’s spouse’s parents created major issues for the country. ► relatives 王の配偶者の親族 https://jisho.org/word/親族

Okay, first off, I appreciate you taking the time to go through the whole thing like this. However, I'm not going to address every single point or get into a debate over TL choices. I may not actually respond to any later roundups you do, but rest assured I am reading them and taking them on board. (Although, as to the dash drake one, I can't take credit for that one, it was seven seas and I'm trying to match their terminology choices where it makes sense to.)

@~91% Part 1
    Is that 9 years right? I thought Japan did K-12 like the US.

• Premium Member

@DarkRookie Through 9th grade is "compulsory education". After that, they can go on or go to work.

• Premium Member

Volume 1 - Part 3:

• [97%] “Guh...!?” ► This series uses ?! usually. 😋

• Premium Member

[80%] He wouldn’t be able to use that money, of course course. -> doubled
    [80%] a stupidly long extension lead -> cord (britishism?)

• Premium Member

Part 5
    29%: "...the ancient dragons that were said to once exist..." -> "...to once have existed..."