If You Find An Author / Director is Morally Corrupt, Do You Still Continue Buying / Watching Their Work?

@terrence said in If You Find An Author / Director is Morally Corrupt, Do You Still Continue Buying / Watching Their Work?:

Just as a small aside, there are aspects to the morally reprehensible stuff that can perpetuate bad messaging that leads to discrimination + harm mentally or otherwise for a group of people, and stuff with "good" messaging (again, based on certain popular moralities in the West)

There's a definite immorality in thinking this way, since with enough imagination you can adapt literally everything to this rhetoric which then used to attack and harass people of different culture. Which is exactly what's happening. Catherine's artificially cooked up "controversy" is just the latest in line and one of the more inane examples. All things are easily explainable with the character and in-story logic and isn't even there to offend anyone, it's ultimately up to the creator what life decisions his characters make even if you don't agree with them. But these people don't think, they just brand everything and anything they don't agree with as "transphobic" and use this convenient claim as a justification for the harassment and attacks on the personal life of the creators. Which basically leads to discrimination + harms mentally or otherwise said creators. Are these transgenders moral then? I'd say obviously not. If there are creators among them, by your logic you should definitely boycott their works, their way of life is morally reprehensible and constantly harms groups of people.

The line of thinking "I shall look for myself how morally acceptable the creator looks in this work" is extremely faulty in itself but if people understood that, I wouldn't have to post in this topic to begin with.

• Premium Member

@terrence said in If You Find An Author / Director is Morally Corrupt, Do You Still Continue Buying / Watching Their Work?:

I'm kind of curious if English voice actors get royalties for roles in games and anime?

I'm not sure about anime (I don't think they do), but video game voice actors did not get royalties until they went on strike for around a year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_video_game_voice_actor_strike) until game studios agreed to pay royalties.

EDIT: My mistake, the result of the strike was a new agreement that still does NOT include residuals, but some non-AAA studios did agree to pay residuals.

Reaction to the strike was mixed, because nobody else involved in making games (such as artists and programmers) get royalties. I may be biased as a software developer, but I don't think it's right for voice actors who show up at the tail end of a project and do a few hours of work in a booth to get royalties when the people who actually make the game put in a hundred times as much time and effort and get nothing. You can have a game without voice actors. Many games don't have them. You can't have a game without programmers and artists.

• Premium Member

Whelp, an author got in trouble on social media again. This time for badmouthing their illustrator.

alt text

https://bookwalker.jp/debefee92f-35e0-45e9-864a-c30bc53e4043/?acode=WpfPW3yk

This LN just got cancelled. Apparently the author said shitty things about the illustrator on Twitter
    https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1099154185768001538?s=17

So it seems that the illustrator was saying generally "It's boring to only draw 'safe' ero images that don't go all the way" and the author thought this meant "The book itself is boring" https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1099159852369162241?s=17

Obviously a shitty situation for fans of the work and for the folks involved in production.

• Premium Member

@terrence

Ouch, for a few scared moments I thought the one from the same author, the one with the elf girl and the behemoth cat, was the casualty, this one;
    https://forums.j-novel.club/topic/1711/s-rank-monster-no-behemoth-dakedo-neko-to-machigawarete-elf-musume-no-pet-toshite-kurashitemasu-i-m-an-s-rank-behemoth-monster-but-i-m-living-as-a-pet-of-an-elf-girl
    ...but fortunately that one has different illustrator.

So it seems that the illustrator was saying generally "It's boring to only draw 'safe' ero images that don't go all the way" and the author thought this meant "The book itself is boring"

Read straight, that seems an extremely silly reason to throw a fit, huh?

• Premium Member

@novurdim When beleaguered anime directors start having the insanely high suicide rate that transgendered teens do (among teens transgendered males have the highest suicide rate), I suspect the viewpoint will change.

If transgendered voices seem shrill at times take a look at how long they’ve been effectively shit on by society. If it were me, I’d be a little shrill too. Losing an anime you like is nothing compared to losing a friend to suicide.

@the-green-death said in If You Find An Author / Director is Morally Corrupt, Do You Still Continue Buying / Watching Their Work?:

When beleaguered anime directors start having the insanely high suicide rate that transgendered teens do (among teens transgendered males have the highest suicide rate), I suspect the viewpoint will change.

Well, I'm already pro-anime and anti-harassment so I suspect my won't. But unfortunately until some real tragedy happens in the game or anime work sphere, all these baseless pseudo-outrages, harassments and mob attacks will just be glossed over. Either way, being inadequate isn't justifiable because someone lost a friend, don't attack the outsiders and defenceless just because you don't think you are able to fight the real problems. This way they are only making it much worse and turn the priorly neutral crowd against themselves.

• For me, it depends.

I will watch, play or read some works with corrupt creators, depending on how strongly I am affected by their dark side.
    Heck, my cousin probably has no idea about the Nobuhiro Watsuki disaster, so I bought him one of the live-action movies, as I just can't tell him the truth. It would break his heart.
    If a creator is a bigot to innocent minorities I am part of, my consumption of their work is guaranteed to at least decrease, but not guaranteed to fully stop.