Is it possible to (accurately) judge a book by its cover?

• Premium Member

If Sherlock Holmes can deduce a man from a glance, then why not judge a book by its cover. Sherlock Holmes looks at a man's Knees before he deduces anything from the man. Would there be any key details on the cover of a book (or anime) that can tell us anything about the story? to use an example of a series I have not read yet, Vol 1 of The Master of Ragnarok and Blesser of Einherjar has the MC on a throne surrounded by three girls so this will be a Harem and likely a True Harem since the Cover is the Harem King cover. The Blonde girl to the left will likely be the Seductive girl while the silver-haired girl in the top-right will likely be more serious, the pinkish haired girl at the bottom-right probably be tame or shy.

Edit: You can also read the Synopsis but they usually do not tell you about the story or at least the nothing important. so what about reading the Synopsis in a different way too, a way that can tell us about the story.

• Premium Member

This post is deleted!

• Premium Member

I pretty much only judge whether I want to get interested in a series based on the cover and title for light novels I know nothing about. Descriptions of the book can range from covering only the first two or three pages, to covering half the story. Prefer to go in more blind to the story than that (although, you could argue you get more spoilers from certain covers and inserts, but again, this is why I do research, to find the books that tease just enough without giving things away, like who the main love interest is).

Sometimes I go through the series to see how predictable the covers are too. Like, is there a different girl on every cover? Does the final cover have the first cover girl now in a wedding dress? Are there too many different women together on each cover, indicating a harem? How far into the background does the protagonist fade as the publisher's try to sell through novels by placing the girls closer and closer to front and center? xD

• Premium Member

@terrence said in Is it possible to (accurately) judge a book by its cover?:

Does the final cover have the first cover girl now in a wedding dress?

Spice and Wolf Vol 17. also every Volume has Holo as Centre stage on the cover. Also, the Title can also tell you something too, For Spice and Wolf the "Spice" Represents Lawrence and the "Wolf" Holo, so this can be seen as "Lawrence and Holo" aka this series will focus closely on these two characters. Sometimes the Title does not tell you something like the case for Danmachi.

• Premium Member

I think the covers are a better for determining genre, tone, and a couple key aspects. Is it sci-fi, rom-com, fantasy, etc? However, the purpose of covers and titles is sell the book by trying to catch people's attention. I don't know what the light novel shelf space in Japanese bookstores is like, but I've heard it's competitive. Maybe some of the translators living in Japan could describe that better.

Although, your deductions for Ragnarok were too bad. It is a harem story, and you did nail the personalities of two of the girls. However, this is a small spoiler, the most important girl isn't on the cover.

• Premium Member

@eins I think the Cover should do two things,

1. tell you what the book is like (like you said)

2. be a great cover (sells the book like you said)

I am also guessing that I was off with the Bottom-right girl, I had some trouble finding words to describe my prediction with her.

• Tbh covers are like first impressions also if it looks cool I’ll most likely bite, if not the chances are lower now. So yeah I do most of the time judge a book by its cover. This also applies to anime for me only to come back to it years later to kick myself in the butt for not watching it sooner because I got the wrong impression from the cover/thumbnail picture.

• Premium Member

Volumes 1 + 3 - Front and center. Seems like this could have a really great main character that drives the plot!

alt text

alt text

Volume 4 + 5 - I'm still here even if I'm not the center of attention. Don't forget about me.

alt text

alt text

Volume 6 + 7 - RIP in pieces.

alt text

alt text

https://bookwalker.jp/de2bb4512d-6e99-414c-9882-3862e3112fe3/?acode=WpfPW3yk

• Premium Member

you wouldnt happen to know the name of this would you? My skills at google translate arent so good.

• Premium Member

@galactuskahn24 said in Is it possible to (accurately) judge a book by its cover?:

you wouldnt happen to know the name of this would you? My skills at google translate arent so good.

The one I posted is titled "Let's Manage the Tower". So yeah, I think they're managing a dungeon or castle? IDK, I gotta look at the description. xP

Edit: Yeah, it sounds like he

Looks like your connection to J-Novel Club Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.