Crunchyroll's Parent Company Bought By AT&T

• Premium Member

http://about.att.com/story/att_otter_media.html

AT&T* has acquired The Chernin Group’s controlling interest in Otter Media, the joint venture between the two companies. Otter Media, a leading subscription, advertising and content company, comprises wholly-owned subsidiaries Ellation, an online subscription video service provider, with offerings under the Crunchyroll and VRV brands, as well as a full-service digital media company, Fullscreen, and its Rooster Teeth brand. Otter also has ownership stakes in global content studio Gunpowder & Sky, as well as Hello Sunshine, a media company founded by Reese Witherspoon.

I'm hoping this doesn't affect anything service / cost wise (hope they keep the free streaming for nonsubscribers).

• Premium Member

@terrence Nope, I fully expect HD will be limited to AT&T premium subscribers by some point next year. Same for HBO.

• Premium Member

@seltzermx said in Crunchyroll's Parent Company Bought By AT&T:

@terrence Nope, I fully expect HD will be limited to AT&T premium subscribers by some point next year. Same for HBO.

I originally wrote "you think they'll raise premiums for those that aren't AT&T customers", but retracted it cause I wasn't sure if that was crazy or no to jump to as a conclusion. Your conclusion is both worse and maybe more likely.

Maybe they'll add subscription plans to split the content between Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, and Josei; "only pay for the content you want"... God no! T_T

• Premium Member

I think it's been very obvious AT&T's been trying to collect a full vertical for awhile now, and whatever they do with it will not be good for us consumers.