Original Characters (OCs)

• Premium Member

Basically describe any original character you have made. You can describe I any way you want.

• Premium Member

Now whenever I come up with a character idea I always think of them as the protagonist, and they are not neccesarily evil but more self serving (sometimes they are evil). I usually come up with a power or a goal/desire they have and then the rest comes after. For example I might make a wish fulfillment power where OC Grant's wishes for a price so I make him very have a "eye for eye" mind set like if he saves your life then you owe him your life now. That is the kind of approach I usually take when making OCs. I usually set them in an original world too and not something like an OC for a show I like.

I'll post an OC later.

• Premium Member

I usually create a world and give them a problem that they have to escape from, then allow the world to form the character.

Just going by protagonists...

(Lamenti Sarro was abused by her father and then kidnapped by someone who wanted to save her)
    (ilydia (Silveria version) wanted to become the hero from a story she read (ilydia) and ended up being granted a dying wish. Her wish was to become ilydia. This ended up causing the events of the story as her wish was misinterpreted and it was assumed that she wanted to be in the same world as 'ilydia' (mmo game avatar) as well.)
    (ilydia zeArc Infinitum or Ilydia ZeArl Infinitum was an elf that tried to foster a friendship with a friend from another race, but both races were tricked by humans into attacking each other. She then went on a journey after being exiled in order to protect her love and eventually became consumed with the desire for revenge. She is the ideal of the Silveria ilydia.)
    (Higanbana was a flower within a world of nothing but flowers, but she was granted life as a human-like entity in exchange for a curse: Her name became her chains. Her sister, Sayuri, is similarly cursed as are all the Flower Tribe. The two travel from world to world, being reborn once they die, sometimes together, sometimes apart.)
    (Sierras is a mage who became exiled due to a prophecy and forced to wander as she searches for the reason behind her exile.)
    (Aya Sa---- is a cat tribe member who was born into slavery. After being treated horribly, she ended up giving birth by division to her twin, Yuki Sa----. After killing those who even knew of Aya's existence, they go on a journey to become strong enough that Aya will never be threatened again.)

Then you have the supporting cast who tend to have their own set of issues.

Loki (my artist's favorite character right now from what I can tell) was a casualty of ilydia's wish. An old lady who never felt anything but pleasure (defect), she saw the effects of the world and wanted to be a kid who could pull pranks and have fun and of course, that meant... Becoming Loki, she eventually became the leader of her territory, a paradise of gods. Then, ilydia's party appeared and she foolishly decided to prank them, resulting in being captured by Jeanne, the party's 'weakest' member. After being horrifically punished by Jeanne, she learned that Jeanne was an amazing inventor, even being able to create a device that removed her defect and so she joins the party as a victimtest subject. Eventually, the tests become fairly extreme due to the immortality that gods have to the point that she gets cut in half as an experiment, becoming two people. Later, she is then torn apart again, becoming four, each piece having a different 'color' as their theme, with the red and blue pieces staying with the party as a Sword Saint, summoning swords and doing horrible things to their enemies and each other.

Jeanne (one of my favorite side characters) was a healer with no sense of right or wrong. Basically, she ended up joining the party as the weakest class (changing from healer to standard bearer) in order to fulfill the needs of ilydia's party. However, she has no common sense and at some point, she found a very strong door that could not be broken (a boss room door). She didn't have the key for the door so... She decided to just keep hitting it until it broke. She eventually grew so strong that she punched the door and destroyed the wall along with the room. The door was unharmed. She kept the door to continue her training, which eventually became the shield of another party member after she became strong enough to warp the door's shape. She ends up destroying half of two countries by throwing her banner at the border of the countries, almost wiping out her own party in the process.

My villains are generally just misguided in some way.

The wishgiver in the Silveria story basically hates humans, but really liked ilydia (Silveria version). He wanted to grant her wish properly so he made assumptions about what she wanted and tried to make her wish come true completely. The result was that ilydia's wish ended up wiping out most of the population as well as horrifically warping the world to the point where most of those that couldn't adapt immediately died.

Elizabeth Bathory is basically the initial antagonist of ilydia (Silveria version). As the richest person in her school, she bullied ilydia out of a sense of duty (She thought ilydia was some sort of monster disguising itself as a human). She realized the effects of what happened and took advantage to become the strongest person she could think of. Gaining the power to manipulate blood, she wears clothes of blood that doubles as armor and has a spear that she favors while being able to form additional spears with blood. She basically fights by forcing her servants to cut themselves and flood the area with blood to make herself stronger while remaining in her territory where 'Money is Power'. She is a complete brocon and loves her brother more than even money to the point where she hates ilydia even more once she finds out that her brother is friends with ilydia as she believes that either ilydia killed/kidnapped him and made an imposter or ilydia is brainwashing him.

===

Also have Yande Rei-chan who is completely in love with Logical Boy. Stalker Girl is also in love with Logical Boy. (Their names are never officially given although a certain girl shares the same name as Bathory's real name and has the ability to become Bathory).

Yande Rei-chan is completely adorable. In the what-if sequel, you find out that in the what-if, Yande-Rei ends up beating Stalker Girl, skinning her, and wearing her skin in order to pretend that she is Stalker Girl who ended up as Logical Boy's girlfriend.

(Not naming the titles because I don't want to be advertising my games and stories here, lol).

Edit:

Personally, I tend to give stronger powers more limitations. Like ilydia's power stems from the fact that she is a berserker type. The original ilydia became contracted with Sayuri, who gave her power in exchange for taking on part of Sayuri's curse: revenge. The power basically slowly corrupted ilydia and warped her until she lost all sense of what was 'right' until much later after ilydia had become akin to a rpg demon lord to the humans. It was only after losing Sayuri though (Sayuri's goal was to be reunited with her sister) that she began to become normalized, although it also cost her the power she gained from Sayuri. That was also when she realized that she had sacrificed her original goal for the sake of protecting her original goal, which drove her into self destruction.

The second ilydia was also a berserker, but her power stems from the abyss and from the 'other' version of her, the 'third' ilydia in a sense. The third ilydia wants to protect the second, but does so by trying to cage the second. As the story progresses, the second slowly loses her sense of justice and starts to head towards 'the ends justifies the means', becoming a horrible tyrant and drawing heavily on the power of the third in order to destroy everything in her path as the third slowly works on drawing ilydia into the abyss.

Basically two extreme versions of power corrupts. And being berserker types, they are a danger to their own party when they go all out as evidenced by the huge casualties on ilydia of Silveria's party's high casualty rate and the fact that the original ilydia's party basically consists of nothing but weaponry due to the living having all died despite the fact that she isn't anywhere near as absurd as the Silveria version (She still retains control to a certain extent while the Silveria version completely loses control to the point of blanking memories).

Each character with a strong power has some sort of regulation. For example, the wishgiver can only grant wishes. He can corrupt a wish, but he can only use his power if a wish is made (and the wish needs to be somewhat directed at him (they need to at least know he can hear)). He doesn't have to grant a wish though, so "I wish you wouldn't grant my wish" won't really do anything and he is effectively a true immortal. It is assumed that his wish granting power is extremely high, but it does have some limits.

Jeanne's power stems purely from brute strength as a result of training. She lacks a lot of finesse in exchange and thus she can't show off her strength in most cases since she is essentially a walking natural disaster (Even a weak attack from her can change the terrain so her own teammates are in danger anytime she attacks and she is strong, not tough so she can kill herself if she hits the terrain near herself (she's tough, just not enough that she can take her own hits)). Basically, she is a mortar/artillery type that attacks from a distance.

Loki's power is mainly reliant on the fact that she is immortal due to becoming a god, but she can still die if something is strong enough to overwhelm her immortality. (Sayuri, Bathory, and most of ilydia's party can do this easily if they try to kill her). She's split into four pieces and 3 groups so even if two groups are killed simultaneously, the third could potentially escape, replicate, and survive, but she also has to deal with the fact that she's controlling all her bodies at the same time with only one mind, meaning she potentially could feel things four times as intensely as a normal person among other issues. This is combined with certain restrictions placed on her (though she has fewer limitations than normal since her power was mostly gained through work and not some special ability). By the time she ends up fighting enemies stronger than Bathory, she is already strong enough that her restrictions (Like the fact that her reactions are slightly delayed due to having to control the correct body) aren't an issue, but during the Bathory fight, they had to lock up one of her bodies (she had two at the time) so that it wouldn't interfere with her capabilities. She also doesn't heal instantly and things like being cut in half take much longer to recover from.

Bathory's territory's "Money is Power" synergizes with the fact that she is extremely rich and she makes use of those weaker than her as blood generators to take advantage of her power to manipulate blood (she doesn't have full control over blood). This means that outside her territory, she is far weaker. She is also a terrible matchup against Sayuri, who has dominion over blood as Sayuri's control of blood is stronger.

@Drone205

I don't know if I'd consider that really scummy. If I personally wanted to be scum with an ability like that and a goal like that, I would have first found a cute girl, then made it so that I would be given a nice place to stay near a town with said girl, then made it so that the original residents would remain as servants to maintain the estate. After, I would have the town lose their memories of her while potentially implanting strong memories of happiness in her so that she would have an extremely happy family life only to lose that happiness suddenly. Then, at scheduled intervals, wipe the memories of her over and over so that she falls further into despair. Finally, make it so that everyone 'remembers' to ignore her no matter what she does, making it so she feels like she doesn't even exist anymore before coming to her rescue, taking her 'home'. There, I would give her the opportunity to stay with me as a lover, but convince her to do away with her family who clearly betrayed her. I would take over the town 'for her sake', forcing those 'horrible people' to pay tributes. Then have her burn her own bridge by 'allowing' her to complete her 'revenge' with a very personal public execution of her 'traitor' family. Thus, securing a stable source of supplies and a girl who now has nothing left but me. Her memories would essentially be untouched except to give her happy memories if she didn't have any. And of course, she now has to rely on me since if she loses me, everyone still remembers that she murdered her own family.

(ilydia did this to a certain extent, although she doesn't have memory control powers, she basically threatens a girl she found amusing (she had a vendetta against the girl's fiance/savior) that she would kill him if the girl didn't follow her. Then, after journeying a while and showing how cruel she could be, she had the girl kill her fiance (who had tried to rescue the girl) in a fairly cruel manner in exchange for not 'punishing' him.)

(I ended up writing a little sort of brainstorm draft: https://www.patreon.com/posts/scums-story-hear-23968896. I had some fun writing it, so I might polish it up later and make it into a VN or RPG. I only had 6 hours before I had to sleep so I cut out a lot like about how he used manipulation on himself and how he tricked the girl into wearing his eyepatch to find out what it did. Also skipped a lot of proofreading and such. Going to poke my artist and secondary musician to see if they want to work on a revised version of this)

I really do hate memory control as an ability though. I consider it one of the OP villain abilities that have very few proper counters. Perfect memory (ie. Sakurada Reset) and collective memory (ie. Murasakiiro no Qualia) really only protect those with the ability and things like power negation (ie. To Aru) really are global counters. (and those counters might not even work) I'd say over half the time I've seen it in fiction, the counter has been some sort of Deus Ex Machina like "My love overcame the fake memories!".

• Premium Member

Here is a character that I though "how can I make him the most despicable and awful scum I can think of?" First I gave him a simple goal of "wants to be loved (by a girl)" made him isekaied with the power of Memory Control, the ability to control a person's memory however you want. Now this guy is very driven, he will take action toward his desires and goals. Now here is where the despicableness and awful scum comes to play. First of all he uses his power to get the deed to land with a big mansion. He goes into town finds a cute girl, makes the whole town forget about her and takes her to the mansion after changing her memory so that she believes she is his lover. He continues to do things like this. This guy is no hero, nor really a villain, he is just a criminal. This is what I came up with when I try to come up with a very very despicable, scummy character.

• Premium Member

@drone205 said in Original Characters (OCs):

Here is a character that I though "how can I make him the most despicable and awful scum I can think of?" First I gave him a simple goal of "wants to be loved (by a girl)" made him isekaied with the power of Memory Control, the ability to control a person's memory however you want. Now this guy is very driven, he will take action toward his desires and goals. Now here is where the despicableness and awful scum comes to play. First of all he uses his power to get the deed to land with a big mansion. He goes into town finds a cute girl, makes the whole town forget about her and takes her to the mansion after changing her memory so that she believes she is his lover. He continues to do things like this. This guy is no hero, nor really a villain, he is just a criminal. This is what I came up with when I try to come up with a very very despicable, scummy character.

I just realized, this character I thought of is very much like the Mad Hatter from Batman, he kidnapped a woman and brainwashed her.

• Premium Member

I just realized, this character I thought of is very much like the Mad Hatter from Batman, he kidnapped a woman and brainwashed her.

I'm not a huge fan of brainwashing, personally. I think it is way more fun if they retain their original personality and still follow you. (There are a few series with a character who has someone following them that they know hates them and in some cases, wants them dead. I think there are just way more ways to go than brainwashing where the person will act how you want them to since it adds in that conflict of interest vs actions.)

• Premium Member

@sinnoaria I think it is just a matter of context and the type of story. In stories where someone brainwashed a character to love them, there is almost a sense of either doll-ness or fakeness. The character I made with the memory control power I see easily getting bored (due to the fakeness of the love) of one girl thus discarding her to do the same to another ( as I said I made the most despicable character I could imagine). I think Stockholm Syndrome (in fiction) is probably more interesting overall as it takes more time and thus there is also higher stakes for the captor/abuser. It could also be interesting if the captor/abuser has a brainwashing power but chooses not to use it or use it as last resort.

• Premium Member

@sinnoaria I think it is just a matter of context and the type of story. In stories where someone brainwashed a character to love them, there is almost a sense of either doll-ness or fakeness. The character I made with the memory control power I see easily getting bored (due to the fakeness of the love) of one girl thus discarding her to do the same to another ( as I said I made the most despicable character I could imagine). I think Stockholm Syndrome (in fiction) is probably more interesting overall as it takes more time and thus there is also higher stakes for the captor/abuser. It could also be interesting if the captor/abuser has a brainwashing power but chooses not to use it or use it as last resort.

Sorry, I worded that badly. My dislike of brainwashing is more the fact that brainwashing/memory control as an ability tends to be way overpowered in stories. Like I wrote earlier, not many proper counters to it as a power. (There are a few counters as a technique).

I think a true scumbag would get bored of one girl anyways whether the love is fake or not (being forced to behave in a certain way still would be 'fake', just not doll-ness as much since they still have their own will). I don't really consider discarding them one after another to be the most despicable thing you can do though. There are worse things that could happen than just being discarded...

Sorry if I turned this thread into how to create a scumbag original character >.<

• Premium Member

@sinnoaria said in Original Characters (OCs):

Sorry, I worded that badly. My dislike of brainwashing is more the fact that brainwashing/memory control as an ability tends to be way overpowered in stories. Like I wrote earlier, not many proper counters to it as a power. (There are a few counters as a technique).

I believe any power can be balanced if you do it right. Like for the Memory Control it could have certain conditions like you can only rewrite a person's memory when you are touching them. And even if you don't need to touch them to rewrite their memory you can never do a perfect rewrite like you might make a person lose memory of, in this case let's say, the experiences he had with his daughter but the emotions he felt still remain. The same memory is not all stored in one part of the brain; losing a part of your brain may make you lose memories but not EVERTHING related to those memories so logic dictates that you will not be able to do a perfect rewrite.

• Premium Member

I had a similar issue on balancing over powered abilities with on race I wanted to create. The core concept was that they could manipulate perception, essentially having the ability to change how anyone in their range perceives the world. Not quite mind control, but perhaps a bit worse since the person is still otherwise of sound mind. Plus it's not just one person, but a whole population.

I balanced it out using social structures, both from within and without. I wanted to think on how things might evolve, especially since their powers also work on each other. From within, the race is deeply religious, with three religions that dictate how, when, and to what degree they use their abilities. One religion, worshiping truth and called seekers, all agree on a single interpretation of reality. Their abilities might alter perception, but never to a significant degree. The second, worshiping illusion and called weavers, tend to view the world from a personal lens, but they strongly respect others' perceptions as their own, and restrict any ability usage. The third worships both deities and finds a balance between them, but isn't particularly a focus in the narrative.

From without, things center around the fact that this entire race came from another world. The other races in the world are all terrified of them. So they walled the entire race in (literally) after a brief war, and established a police unit that babysat them whenever they left, using magic to make them immune to their abilities (but that has other side-effects). They also require them to be visibly marked in public. They're not particularly well tolerated so they rarely leave their designated land.

I've mostly stopped working on this stuff, but it amuses me to see so much of what I thought up come up in other stories. When I first though this story up (which is entirely several layers of isekai), I had never heard of the concept, and thought it rare. Clearly not so much any more! Plus I was floored reading Goblin Slayer and encountering the little side chapters with Illusion and Truth, because it was so similar to what I had thought up.