How do you feel about English light novel publishers

@zing That is an option I hadn't looked into. Aside from having another ebook reader on my phone I don't find any drawbacks on bookwalker. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just wonder what problem does YP have on listing its catalog on Amazon or Play store in India.

• Premium Member

Going by that recent ANN interview I might have jumped the gun on this topic when I included Square Enix considering right now they only plan on releasing one novel and the rest of their library is manga. Oh well I only included them as a joke anyways.

• Premium Member

J-Novel Club is awesome and great, especially with the slew of new licences in this past year. (That I'm commenting as such on the JNC forums is probably a sign of how much I like them.) I don't read all of their releases, but that's just because the variety of genres is wide enough that I simply prefer some over others. Which means people with different tastes can read those other genres. The primary criticism is that the reader app is tremendously buggy; not yet to the point of literal unusability, but more incredibly annoying quirks like having to log in and out several times just to get my login token to stick. (Which is probably more annoying due to my using a random password from Lastpass, so I have to re-authenticate to Lastpass every time.)

Yen Press is on my semi-serious shitlist for region-locking a lot of their digital releases. Semi-serious in that I assume it's part of their contracts that they feel it's not worth renegotiating, but it doesn't solve the issue that I don't want to make room for physical copies of books and pay for shipping.

Seven Seas also has some issues on the regional licencing front, but now that I think about it I can't actually name any examples, so I might need to come back and review my opinions of them. A few odder translation choices for particularly Japanese/anime-culture terms, but I can tell that the translators tried their best in the circumstances available.

The best I can say about Sol Press is that they're "getting better", in that their more recent releases are at least more proofread and less error-filled than their earlier ones. It's not good yet, but at least I can see a trend of improvement, so I hope they continue it, preferably with a quicker pace.

Cross Infinite World caters to a very niche set of genres, but they're decent enough in it, and I appreciate that someone is bringing it over to English. Apparently they directly contact authors of webnovels, so the Cross Infinite World releases are the first time these stories have gotten an official "print" (whether physical or digital). One weird part is that whoever writes the blurbs makes the stories sound a lot more dramatic and dark than they really are, so often I don't know if a given story is really that dark and depressing, or if it's just the blurb writer going overboard again.

J novel club

While I like that they are easy for finding typos, I definitely don't agree with their translators' translation decisions on quite a few things and there are some things that I especially refuse to let stand. Their site is pretty bad considering how much is going on that involves their site compared to other companies where it doesn't matter as much. The 'sub' system is kind of nice if you don't know whether or not you want to buy a series, but once again, their site is pretty bad (so is the app). They do have one of the fastest response times that I've seen except when it comes to fixing their site and app.

Yen Press/ Yen On

Their translation is a lot more like fan translations from what I've seen. This can be both a good and a bad thing as you get more of the original context at times, but it reads poorly at those same times. They are known for delays and being slow (though they have a new competitor for that). Their quality is definitely less stable and they have many other issues, but they do have some good series.

Seven Seas

Fairly decent in speed and quality, but has/had a tendency of dropping titles and never picking them back up.

Sol Press

Worst one in my opinion. Potentially slower than Yen Press, delays with no real notification until people send them emails to point it out, very slow response time if they respond. Can't say too much about their quality, but they definitely have issues. They seem to be suggesting that they intend to improve and I suppose they'd almost have to try to be any worse so improving would be easier. Personally, I don't trust them and I will give them only the minimum until they have a good track record, which will probably take them a while.

One Peace Books

I can't think of too many series from them, really only Shield Hero sticks out. I honestly don't know how I feel about them.

Cross Infinite World

They are definitely very varied and all over the place. They almost only do short series (one shots especially) from what I've seen.

@rasray said in How do you feel about English light novel publishers:

@zing That is an option I hadn't looked into. Aside from having another ebook reader on my phone I don't find any drawbacks on bookwalker. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just wonder what problem does YP have on listing its catalog on Amazon or Play store in India.

Bookwalker can be a bit buggy at times and may freak out if your internet connection goes down, locking you out. It has done it to me like three times now in the past two months.

• Premium Member

@legitpancake Thanks for the info, I just checked them but they are way too overpriced at $14 for each book.

Just an idea, but you could buy half of the volumes that you're reading by ... other means ... to support the author and publishers. That would only cost $7.

• Premium Member

I went for a samsung galaxy pad instead of kindle because I could not find most of the novels I want to read in digital form. YP is especially notorious for having dead links to digital releases. Had 0 issues with bookwalker so far aside from the app not keeping my phone from dimming the screen. But that can be fixed by extending the timer in phones settings.

@harmlessdave I just faked my location as US on Kobo with a random real address, problem solved. (No need for a proxy or US card)

This post is deleted!

• Premium Member

Does Seven Seas have a page that shows which Light Novels they have licensed? When I visit their series page it seems like they put all of their manga and light novel series onto the same page which makes it confusing.

• Staff