If there were English-language audiobooks available for popular light novel series, would people buy them?

• Premium Member

@paul-nebeling Oh yeah the same voice actors for everything. Or the inspired speeches they gave (cough cough Manga Video UK couc cough)

• Premium Member

@canadadesu said in If there were English-language audiobooks available for popular light novel series, would people buy them?:

I have decided to go all in. Doing some sample recordings at a recording studio this weekend. Even if it's only proof of concept I'm tempted to read a whole dang book and hand it to you as a feit accompli.

But I'm planning to record chapters of Realistic Hero, Ragnarok, Smartphone, and a few others.

So, how did the recording go? I am contemplating having a go at recording myself.

I'd just like to add myself to the list of folks who would gladly purchase audiobook readings.

• Premium Member

I’ve seen some really interesting results with Amazon Polly turning Text-to-Speech that even allows you to define the pronunciation of difficult words. I don’t know if it would be viable from a business perspective or if it would meet what the community wants, but as someone who has Siri read me every page and puts in custom pronunciations, it doesn’t really bother me.

• Premium Member

Has anyone listened to the Kizumonogatari offering on Audible? My family thoroughly enjoyed it on a long drive a few months ago. Christina Vee voiced Tsubaki-san quite well. As best I can tell, it's unique as the only LN offering on Audible currently. I wonder how well it has done and if the other Niseoesin monogatari will be similarly performed?

• Premium Member

Legend of the Galactic Heroes volumes 1-3 (I know they're technically novel novels) and two Attack On Titan LNs (Mistress of the Harsh City?) should be on Audible too still.

Yeah, I enjoyed it. It was entertaining enough that I'd want more, but it doesn't seem it did that well since Vertical hasn't tried again with the other Monogatari and Galactic Heroes volumes.

An audiobook would be great! I listened to my first audiobook this month on audible and it was so fun.
    I heard there was an audiobook for Kizumonogatari at Vertical Inc. and it got really good reception.

• Premium Member

@cactus-777

my $.02

Yes - I'm interested in LN audiobooks. I'd like to see J-Novel club (eventually) expand their offerings to include audiobooks, manga, collections of short stories, non -fiction works, whatever. (as long as it doesn't interfere with the 'core competence' of well translated LN's) I would use premium credits for an audiobook. However, I would not pay for a machine generated voice-over of a LN. Well produced audiobooks often have voice actors (or a cast of voice actors) that add to the enjoyment of the work through their delivery (a good audio book is a dramatic delivery, not merely a narration IMHO) it doesn't have to be a radio-play with sound effects etc. but, should have emotion/emphasis. The sound of laughter or crying adds to the story. If there is more than one cast member (or reader is capable of more than one 'voice') a lot of "he said/ she said" can also be deleted. Enhancing the flow of the book.

I guess what I'm saying is: yes, I'd pay for audiobooks, but I have standards.

I'd be interested in some of the titles that JNC already has licensed as audiobooks - I understand that production of a quality audiobooks probably costs more than an ePub- maybe if a volume was broken into parts? or pay two premium credits for an audio volume?

• Premium Member

Personally, I would like to have DRM free audio books of JNC novels as well. However, most likely I'd only buy my most favorite ones since I'd want the ebook either way.

• I would love to purchase audio book light novels!! One of the most disappointing points about reading light novels is not being able to listen to Japanese voice actors from anime made from light novels.