If there were English-language audiobooks available for popular light novel series, would people buy them?

• Premium Member

@stardf29 I suppose your right. The financial cost of just getting the cast together would be obscene and one skillset doesn’t necessarily translate to another.
    Hey, a man can dream though, right?

• Premium Member

@jon-mitchell Honestly my only experience with Audio Books are Erin Hunter’s Warriors (a series about cats living and fighting in the wild) and all of the works by Yahtzee Crowshaw which are also read by the man himself, so I can’t really say that an audiobook with a full cast would be reasonable.
    Youmight be able to call it a pipe dream, but some of pop cultures greatest use pipes for their usual 9-5.

• Premium Member

@oathkeeper95

Agreed that people/ even folks with a certain amount of fame, make $$ with their ‘pipes’ (that’s why I named dropped Wil Wheaton, the actor)

I’ve listened to a few audiobooks, some merely an unabridged/unedited reading of an entire work, some epic radio dramas with sound effects and a cast of a dozen VAs or so. Most something in between.

Weather or not JNC could land the same VAs from an anime adaptation for an audiobook is what I’m skeptical about. Scheduling, contracts, logistics etc just might not make it practical

That being said, there are lots of voiceover actors out there, some are good and looking for gigs

• Premium Member

Most of the fictional audiobooks I've read through entirely had casts (Girl on the Train, Kizumonogatari, and Kafka on The Shore). Enjoy those. 1Q84 also has a cast.

I read two of Gillian Flynn's ones and I honestly can't remember if there was a cast for those or no (I know Sharp Objects in particular mostly [entirely] focuses on the reporter lady's perspective). All You Need Is Kill's single narrator audiobook butchered Japanese names iirc (I know that's on the director more than anything).

You know what would be cool as an audiobook with a single reader? Mari Okada's autobiography. Nonfiction stuff tends to work better with a single reader, especially if it's from the voice of one person. (My favorites in that space are What If? and Game On!).

@jon-mitchell said in If there were English-language audiobooks available for popular light novel series, would people buy them?:

@oathkeeper95

Agreed that people/ even folks with a certain amount of fame, make $$ with their ‘pipes’

Did you know Cassandra Morris does audiobooks? She voices a lot of famous characters you may have met in anime and video games (Bravely Default as Edea, Persona 5 as Morgana, Leafa / Suguha in SAO, Taiga in Toradora).

Here she voices with a Southern belle accent. x)

The Calamity Café.
    https://www.hoopladigital.com/title/11658119

• Premium Member

@jon-mitchell said in If there were English-language audiobooks available for popular light novel series, would people buy them?:

@oathkeeper95

Agreed that people/ even folks with a certain amount of fame, make $$ with their ‘pipes’ (that’s why I named dropped Wil Wheaton, the actor)

I was making a reference to the Mario Brothers. I didn’t really think Wil Wheaton was much of a handyman, but what do I know about celebrities?