Calendar Update Suggestions
I’ve been using the upcoming release calendars for all the publishers a lot lately, and I have a few suggestions for improvement. I know a website redesign is in the works, but without any update on that, I thought I would put forward some ideas for the calendar page that could hopefully make it into the final design.
- Add physical releases to the calendar. Or, create a separate physical releases calendar.
- Refer to the series by their actual names. Using nicknames on the calendar just confuses anyone who isn’t already familiar with those series. Some of the nicknames (Bakarina, Isekai Mahou) are far enough away from their real titles that it’s a little ridiculous. In fact, you can search “Isekai Mahou” on J-Novel’s search and not get any results. It’s only by going to another website that you can find out what that series is (and even then, you get results mixed with Isekai Maou). Also, the nicknames are not always consistent between novel and manga titles of the same series (Isekai Mahou again).
- Allow users to filter the releases to include or exclude certain categories. These filter categories might include parts, chapters, first parts/chapters, final parts/chapters, ebook releases, novels, manga, or first volumes.
- Include links on all listed releases. The calendar items only include links on already available releases. There is no reason why upcoming releases can’t also link to their novel pages.
- Be consistent with how volume numbers are indicated. Sometimes “VOL.” is used, sometimes “VOLUME” Sometimes “VOL.” or “VOLUME” is listed directly after the title, sometimes there’s a colon (“:”).
- Remove the extra “(MANGA)” indication used in some titles. Manga are already indicated in red text right next to the title, so there’s no reason to include “(MANGA)” in the title of the series, especially since it’s inconsistently used.
- This one doesn’t have anything to do with the design, but no manga releases are scheduled after tomorrow. It probably should be updated.
Include links on all listed releases. The calendar items only include links on already available releases. There is no reason why upcoming releases can’t also link to their novel pages.
I don’t believe this is possible at this time. New URL pages get created as parts become available, not when they get added to the release calendar.
Not to mention that people will click those links, get a
NOT FOUNDpage, and complain about it...
The links could lead to the series pages, not the individual part, until the part is uploaded. Alternatively, the part page could be created earlier and just not have the READ NOW button, and instead have the date it'll be released. That would actually be really useful for anyone who only follows prepubs for a few series. They could just check the pages for the series they are following, rather than searching the calendar which has lots of extra information.
These are all just suggestions, anyways. I wouldn't expect them all to be implemented right now all at once. I just thought if the website redesign is still going on, they could take these ideas into consideration.
Rather than linking the unpublished release link they could simply link the cover/title to the series page. That's been already asked multiple times too actually.
It looks like searching "Isekai Mahou" will now get you to the correct series, and that manga releases are scheduled for another week. I'm not sure how much I had to do with that second one, but thanks J-Novel for the super speedy response.