Honest question. Why does J novel club request web novel take downs while at the same time haveing a web novel discussion forum?

• Premium Member

Even for certain stories that it is known the LN diverges significantly from the web novel yet there is still a takedown request made. What is the actual point of having a web novel forum if that is gonna be the case?

• Premium Member

Are you talking about a discussion about a web novel or posting a translation of a web novel?

If it's the latter, it's an issue of copyright. They don't want copyright infringement on their forums and it also competes with their own products.

• Premium Member

Are you referring to actual author web novels, or fan translations of licensed light novels?

• Premium Member

@SomeOldGuy fan translation of web novels.

• Premium Member

@heimdal7 because fan translations are technically illegal, unless they have author permission.

• Premium Member

To summarise and elaborate upon what has been said above: Some members of JNC read the original web novels from the websites the authors published them to (either in Japanese or via Google Translate). This is legal, whereas republishing those web novels without permission (including in a translated form) is not.

Just because something is available for free does not mean it is legal for it to be copied - that is the difference between something being released "for free" (gratis) and "with little or no restriction" (libre), i.e. free as in 'free beer' vs free as in 'free speech'. You are allowed to read on the official website without payment for as long as it is available, but not allowed to copy or make or share derivative works.

• Premium Member

@heimdal7 Since JNC does not license web novels at this time, can you provide a specific example where JNC requested a take down of a web novel fan translation?

Such a take down request would have to be made by someone who holds the rights to it, usually the web novel's author, possibly also the site that hosts the original web novel, as publisher.

Fan translations of light novels that JNC has licensed are a different beast. JNC has licensed the English translation, so they could make such a request, as can the original author AND the original Japanese publisher.

• Premium Member

To add to Shiny's point, those of us who like to compare changes between light novels and Web novels can only do so in the Web novel section. The discussion often being potential spoilers for the light novel, or distracting and detracting from the original topic.
    Example being Seirei Gensouki where there are significant differences.

Web novels can be given a cease and a desist notice because of the nature of copyright. J novel as a publisher are well within their rights to stop those who are infringing or has a potential to infringe on the licence they have paid for.

Though, let us not forget though, that from the ranks of amateur translators, a few have enjoyed success here.

• Premium Member

Something else to consider is that it's not uncommon these days (with anime and manga at least) for the Japanese rights holders to require or at least request that the English licensor be pro-active in tracking down and assisting in the take down of anything that would appear to be infringing on those rights.

Web novels that have also gotten released as light novels would seem to be a sightly unusual situation - do the Japanese holders of the LNs have any rights around the source WNs? - but I could still seeing them asking informally, if nothing else.

Though all that said I'm not sure I've seen J-Novel trying to take down fan translations of web novels, though that might also just be from my own lack of noticing it. Got any specific examples?

• Staff

@xdrfiredogx said in Honest question. Why does J novel club request web novel take downs while at the same time haveing a web novel discussion forum?:

do the Japanese holders of the LNs have any rights around the source WNs?

The Japanese publisher obtains the copyright for the WN when they license the story for serial publication.

@xdrfiredogx said in Honest question. Why does J novel club request web novel take downs while at the same time haveing a web novel discussion forum?:

Web novels that have also gotten released as light novels would seem to be a sightly unusual situation - do the Japanese holders of the LNs have any rights around the source WNs? - but I could still seeing them asking informally, if nothing else.

Some publisher even require the original WN to be taken down, naturally not to compete with the published book.

So, if there are both WN and LN available for certain novel, that is the right that author explicitly negotiated for the WN readers and it is not automatically given.

• Premium Member

@myskaros @hiroto I figured that was the case when the WN gets taken down with the release of the LN but had no idea what the case would be when both are still active, which seems to be a somewhat common situation. Thanks for clarifying.

So yeah, while a US Licensor may not have any rights specific to the WN it would be well within the Japanese rights holder to request that they pursue fan translations of them. Which is still not to say that's happened here, I'm only theorizing from sightly outdated knowledge of how it has worked for anime and manga in the past.