Let us Discuss Fanservice(ecchi)

• Premium Member

Fanservice for many is an instant "Nope," but for me, I do not see it in a negative way but a neutral way. Fanservice can add or take away from a story. I have a little graph that Sums up how I see Fanservice (there can also be a Z direction for how much it adds or subtracts to the story).

Natural
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         |
                           Non-Consentual ---------------|--------------- Consensual
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         |
                                                         Forced

Natural - the fanservice makes sense in context for the story and/or characters.
    Forced - The fanservice does not make sense in context with the story and/or characters.
    Consensual - The person subjected to the fanservice is ok with the fanservice.
    Non-Consensual - The person subjected to the fanservice is not ok with the fanservice.

if you want to put series into categories you can do so as (consensual(%), Natural(%), addition(%)) if you want where a negative % is the Non-Consensual, Forced and detracts from the story. for me I will ignore the Z direction and stick with the Consensual and Natural scaling

If I try to remember the first fanservice scene that I've read in an LN, I think it was the time Haruhi forced Mikuru to cosplay as bunny girls in front of school.

If I follow @Drone205's chart, then I guess that would be on the forced/non-censentual corner. But still pretty close to neutral. Thinking again, I think most fanservice moments in the Suzumiya Haruhi series are kinda on this side.

• Premium Member

@shrike_al I would put it into Natural instead of Forced. In the Context of the story and Characters, it makes sense because Mikuru does not really try to defend herself and Haruhi does not really empathize with others. And it was also to Promote the SOS Brigade. I would put that scene as in Consensual scale as near the middle (because Haruhi dressed up as well) but probably more non-consensual because Mikuru was part of it and not happy about it.

• Premium Member

All fan service is good service, because what man can say no to being serviced?

• Premium Member

I'm not convinced the "natural" vs "forced" axis is that useful... the fact is that a LOT of times the story comes up with context to give fanservice. And while there's context it's still pretty forced, and you can sort of see that the "context" was really just an excuse.

"The girl is a slave, that's why she's in skimpy clothes."
    "This girl is a beastman who's tribe doesn't like wearing clothes, that's why she's barely wearing anything" etc.

Those may make sense in the context of the story, but you can tell when the author is obviously picking scenario's where they can have fanservice.

• Using the definitions given, I would say I prefer fan-service to be natural than forced (80% natural). As long as it's innocent enough I don't think I mind being consensual or non-consensual.
    Though there are other things to consider. e.g. if it's played as a joke, is it funny? (please stop accidentally grabbing the violent tsundere's breasts...) Does the forced situation lead to some sort of development development? (unlikely but I hope), etc.

• Premium Member

@chi-c I may not have explained the "Natural" and "Forced" well enough. for an example of fanservice, I would say the Fanservice in NGNL would be in the natural direction because we learn beforehand that Sora and Shiro can't be separated or they get a panic attack. So all the Bath scenes would be in the natural direction because we learn this way before any Bath scenes. It would also be in the Consensual direction because of the nature of the 10 pledges, when Sora touched Steph's breasts in Vol 1 he was only able to do it cuz she wanted it or did not mind it, it would be literally impossible otherwise. Also for your two examples, The slave wearing "Skimpy" clothes, Is this supposed to be played for fanservice? Look at Shield Hero or Death March, when They get their slaves the slaves are wearing "Skimpy" clothes but it is not played for fanservice. The other example, in Danmachi the Amazons do not wear much but it is also rarely played for fanservice. An example I came up with, Just because a girl is sexy doesn't mean it is forced she could just be sexy without fanservice scenes or moments.