General Recommendation Thread

• Hello everyone,

Going forward let’s all use this topic for asking for and receiving recommendations...

While I’m anxiously awaiting the next installment being released now on Monday, I was wondering if there was another light novel you guys could recommend that matches the intelligence of the writing in this story, the beauty of its metaphors and setting descriptions, and the wonderfully developed characters. This series truly is a cut above the rest. Miya Kazuki is very talented. Is there anything else on this site of the same caliber?

• @hikikostory I have moved your post from the Bookworm topic to a new generalized recommendation, this is just to keep the volume discussion topic from veering off. (Not saying it 100% would have I am just trying to be preventive)

As for my recommendation on similar stories I would say Cooking With Wild Game is decently similar.

One caveat Is that currently that series is not on catchup so the volumes available to read are limited. Other then that I think Myne and the main character of Wild Game, Asuta are quite similar...

They both are very passionate about a singular subject, and it can take over their entire being and shut them out from the rest of the world, they both care about family to a fault, and (spoiler coming about Wild Game from V1)

There are more similarities but that would involve divulging more spoilers, much more in depth then the one above. However their are metaphors sprinkled around in bits and pieces (not on the same level as Bookworm) and the series is very descriptive and has a large amount of named characters that all get their own fair share of depth added to them (definitely on par with Bookworm)

P.S. Should you (or anyone) decide to read Cooking With Wild Game at some point please note the speech at the end of V2...it only happens once and not again(at least as far as it has been translated)

• Premium Member

@hikikostory Unfortunately, as you said, Bookworm is definitely a cut above the rest, so it's not an easy ask. I'm not the most well versed in light novels, but here are a few things that I've enjoyed that feel good to read, not limited to JNC.

• Spice and Wolf - A traveling merchant meets a fox god of harvest, and they banter and bicker as they travel together and have adventures of commerce and trade. Exquisitely translated, definitely have a look at this. As a bonus, this one's finished, with some epilogues still going.
    • The Monogatari series - A student has an encounter with the supernatural, becomes a half-vampire and gets roped into spiritual shenanigans. It's well written but the writer is very idiosyncratic, so your mileage may vary. Expect lots of wordplay.
    • Sword Art Online Progressive - It may feel weird to see SAO in this list, but take a look at Progressive. It's an expansive and detailed retelling of the original story, written after a bunch of years of experience. It flows very well, and it takes its time to set things up and paint the world. Books are released over a year apart in average, so there's no need to hurry with this one.
    • How A Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom - This one's here in JNC. I wouldn't say it's as well written as the ones above, but it's similar to Bookworm in that the main character brings their knowledge to a new world and through their actions changes it for the better, so you may enjoy it.

• Premium Member

@nosgoroth said in General Recommendation Thread:

• Sword Art Online Progressive - It may feel weird to see SAO in this list, but take a look at Progressive. It's an expansive and detailed retelling of the original story, written after a bunch of years of experience. It flows very well, and it takes its time to set things up and paint the world. Books are released over a year apart in average, so there's no need to hurry with this one.

Though you have to accept it will never conclude when diving in. Not because the author might abandon it, but simply because it's physically impossible, at least at the current pace (vol1 was two floors, vol2-4 were floor each, vol5&6 were floor 6..., the original story concluded on floor 75...). I'm satisfied if it at least manages to conclude the Elf War quest.

That said, it is a good recommendation and I actually prefer it to the main series which I'm reading at volume 7 currently.

• Premium Member

@korppi It has to give somewhere, definitely, the numbers just don't add up. Either Kawahara starts pumping out a novel every two to three months (ha) or Progressive will have to stop midway or, I think more realistically, just skip floors.