Hataraku Maou-sama is finally completed (spoilers)
Well, after 21 volumes, this series has come to an end. It's been a wild ride and overall, I'm happy with the way the story ended. Some minor criticism of the final volume though.
- The story kept jumping back and forth three years between the assault on heaven and what I would call the epilogue.
- The author threw in a deus ex machina to tie up several loose ends and fill in some plot holes. Specifically, the Yesod sword. Yes, it was necessary, but still.
- While Chiho got her happy end, the implied harem ending was just a bit off-putting, though not completely out-of-character.
I'm happy with how everything turned out, but I'll miss having move volumes to look forward to.
I know many complained, but the main couple I rooted for got together so I have no issues in that regard.
That said, the last volume did feel
a bitquite rushed, and the assault on Heaven played out not like a bang but a whimper. Also, a minor nitpick perhaps, but I'm disappointed for the fact Ashiya didn't end up with Rika...
@korppi That entire plot thread seemed to have vanished, much to Ashiya's relief. Still, I can see
twothree obstacles in the way.
- Ashiya pretty much went back to Ente Isla for work. While Rika probably wouldn't have major issues following him, I got the sense that her family kind of expected her to stick around and help with the family business.
- While not expressly stated, I think we can assume that the "issue" that effected Maou would occur to any demon that developed romantic feelings for a human. Unlike Maou, using the same treatment on Ashiya would not be well received.
- I really don't think Ashiya was into Rika as she was into him.
- Chiho was always best girl and the frontrunner to land Maou. How can anyone complain?
- Chiho's end of story revelation kind of made it obvious that Maou would end up with both Emi and Sukano. Again, how can anyone complain?
- Both Emi and Sukano would have killed Maou for real if he broke Chiho's heart, especially after Emi removed the biggest reason why they couldn't be together.