Housekeeping Mage LN lacks chapters in navigation
As the title says, I'm finding that my download of Housekeeping Mage vol 1 (LN) lacks chapter breakdowns for table of contents/navigation (beyond generic cover and colour illustrations). This is the only one of my volumes purchased through J-Novel's website that has such limited navigation.
Some more details:
- This was purchased through the J-Novel website, along several other volumes of other series. This includes several LNs.
- I read the EPUB (no file changes after downloading) using Onyx Boox NeoReader, and have used this for all other J-Novel purchases (which include chapters in navigation).
- This is the most recently published J-Novel book I have purchased (all others were 2021 or earlier), so it could be a change in the backend set-up of the EPUBs.
Another (potentially related) issue with this volume: for some reason, there's also colour images at the front of the book (page 2), despite the recency of publication. I can confirm my purchases of Daughter Left the Nest vols 1 and 2 and Dragon Daddy Diaries vol 1 have colour illustrations after the main story.
I would appreciate advice on what may be behind the first issue, whether it be a correction on my end or re-downloading after an update on the backend.
Unfortunately, we are not able to reproduce the issue on our end with Housekeeping Mage from Another World: Making Your Adventures Feel Like Home! Volume 1.
While viewing the book in iBooks, Google Play books, and Calibre in all instances the table of contents does appear for navigation throughout the book.
Are you able to see the full table of contents navigation screen from a different reader?
I tested it on the Boox using Google Play, however it still does not show chapters under navigation. I also tested it on an Android device in case it was something with the device (and downloaded it straight from the website in case it was an issue with the specific download), however this also only shows Cover and Colour Illustration for the navigation.
Just to clarify, I can see the ToC on page 3 of the EPUB fine and use it to navigate to the relevant chapter, whilst the navigation (bottom left burger menu on Play Books) only shows the two locations. Further, I have ebook edition 1.0, if that makes a difference.
This topic reminded me of some navigation weirdness I noticed in this volume, so I finally sent an e-mail to the support address (firstname.lastname@example.org). Message pasted below:
Minor Navigation Issues in Housekeeping Mage Volume 1
This Discussion reminded me of a few minor navigation issues I noticed in the premium epub for this volume but hadn't put the effort into reporting yet:
- The navigation for the ebook wraps everything but Cover and Color Illustration under Part 1: A Housekeeping Mage's Daily Life. The content under this section includes Part 2: The Familiar's Homecoming, Afterword, Side Story: Rurii's Soliloquy, Bonus Short Story, About J-Novel Club, and Copyright, which almost certainly don't belong there.
- The navigation for the ebook does not link to Chapter 6: We Will Care for Those Who Suddenly Fall Ill.
- The Table of Contents does not list or link Chapter 6: We Will Care for Those Who Suddenly Fall Ill.
I noticed this in Calibre v6.5.0 on Windows and the Lithium App v0.24.1 on Android. My copy of the epub is Ebook edition 1.0: March 2022.