[Manga] Gate: Where the JSDF Fought! (Rescue)

• Premium Member

Gate: Where the JSDF Fought!
    Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
    Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There

Publisher: Alphapolis Web Manga (Alphapolis)
    Previous English Publisher: Sekai Project
    Mangaka: Satoru Sao

Synopsis

Youji Itami is a young soldier off duty on his way to an event when a Gate appears in the middle of Ginza. From within spews an army of a fantasy world forcing Itami into action.

With the army pushed back, the JSDF are deployed through the Gate and thus begins the clash of two worlds as Itami is put into position as the leader of a reconnaissance squad. Exploring the new world, meeting heroines, and getting wrapped up in political conflicts, this is Itami's new life as a soldier deployed to another world.

What Happened

To put it bluntly, Sekai Project has completely failed the English fan-community of the manga. They announced the license for this manga in July of 2015. Pre-orders went up March in 2016 for the first two volumes with the expected shipping date being August 2016 for the first. Unfortunately, it wasn't until November of 2016 that pre-orders finally shipped out with the newly announced expected release time-frame of June 2017. And here were are in July 2018 with only another saying that they'll ship this month.

All we know so far is that physical copies of the second volume apparently have been printed. However, volume 1 has since stopped being sold via either Amazon or their site. There's pretty much no hope anymore that they'll continue publishing the series after they've shipped volume 2.

So this is a major request that J-Novel Club enter the manga market rescuing a series that I love quite a bit. One of my most addictive series which I've re-read more than 15 times now to the current chapters. (Fan-scanlations.)

Why

To end on a positive convincing note. This is a fun series. The mangaka working on this is really high quality compared to 95% of other manga adaptations of light novels. He doesn't just slap down a summary of the light novel, but he brings it to life with his own touch. It's not rushed at all. He understands how to write a climax of an arc to be so thrilling that anime fans could only wish directors cared enough to adapt stuff like that. His art is also quite amazing and he's not afraid of nudity or gore.

The fan-scanlations for the series have ranged widely in quality. They've always been based on rips from the Alphapolis web manga reader which means the resolutions have been tiny. Then there are also all the early translations being ridiculously poor grammar wise.

The series takes a focus on adventure and politics as it's typically split between Itami's adventures and life with the heroines and then a bunch of other characters that are working to bring justice for the sudden invasion into the heart of Japan. There's plenty of action, adventure, romance comedy/ecchi, and drama. I'd highly recommend this series for both people to read, and for it to be rescued.

English Cover Volume 1

• I support this motion/idea.. though I'm not sure at all about the realistic logistics of such a rescue attempt.
    I'd adore to see this continue (and it's LN) get translated, I'll note I've not heard any official bout the LN but I've also not "googled" on the mater in a few years so if that's already a thing, sweet, if not, well let's fix that too?

Either way it's really disheartening when these things happen or when a group gets a licence then they sit on it for years and do nothing with it.. while that likely is not the case here they certainly seem to be dragging their feet for some reason from Aruseus's report above.
    ~Isto

• Premium Member

Yes! Absolutely! Yes!

• Premium Member

if this was really dropped I'm a little pissed I prepaid for volume 1 & 2 and I have only gotten vol 1 last year and it was pretty good

• Premium Member

@blohmiller I'd bet on it being dropped. I think Sekai Project laid off a bunch of staff a few months ago too. So they're probably losing a lot of stuff now.