J-Novel Club Monthly Updates Sept. 2021
Starting this month, JNC will be doing monthly website improvements and updates!
These threads will be used to showcase what’s new and where to find it on the main site. This thread will be open until the next round of updates, at which point it will be locked. If you have any feedback or would like to report any bugs related to these changes and new features, please post them here.
Updates for September 2021:
- Located on the home page where the “Coming Soon!” list currently appears
- Will be a switch you can toggle between with “Coming Soon!”
Purchase or preorder series volumes from user library:
- For any series you own at least 1 volume of, you will now be able to purchase or preorder other volumes from the same series
- Simply click on the “Buy” or “Preorder” button next to the volume you want
- A popup window will appear confirm your purchase
- Click yes to continue or no to cancel
- Preordered volumes will automatically be available for download as soon as they are released on the site
Links to purchase physical copies of books:
- Located from the series page in the same place as our links to ebooks
- Click “Buy” next to the volume you wish to purchase
- A new window will open with links to our digital as well as our physical books (when applicable)
- Please note, staff are still in the process of adding these links to each series volume that has a physical edition so you may not see the links working right away
For any series you own at least 1 volume of, you will now be able to purchase or preorder other volumes from the same series
Ooh, I very much like this! Was just spending my premium credit yesterday and thought it’d be nice to have an easier way to get to the next volume of the series I was buying.
I also like that the preorder button’s confirmation pop up lists the release date - though I think it would be nice to see the date on the page itself, so that I would be able to quickly determine which volume is releasing the earliest and prioritize accordingly.
One thing I'd like to see implemented is the site remembering that I clicked on the "Recent" tab. Every time I reload the page I have to click it again.
@terabyte You can configure the recent page as your home page for the forum. I did that a year or so ago.
Hey, barman, can I get some button padding over here? Just put it on my tab, you know I'm good for it.
I got an issue, recently I cannot "follow" new books (or maybe the statut shown is not correct).
When I click on "follow" it's liked I selected the button but nothing is working.
If I check the network tab I see the next request
# A PUT operation https://labs.j-novel.club/app/v1/me/follow/5f46eca7a4e1191968b8858e # The answer is a 409 conflict https://developer.mozilla.org/fr/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/409
I didn't verify the network tab for other browser, but I got the same behavior for Firefox (90 and 92) and Chromium with an empty profile (no extensions). If it can help, I'm on Linux.
If you need additional information or test, let me know
Most likely related to the above issue.
If I go to the Series List page, Unfollow button doesn't show up on the newer series that I followed even after I filtered to Followed series only.
When clicked these Follow buttons, it will do nothing (409 Conflict), but worked correctly to the unfollowed series.
For some reason, it show Unfollow button if I tried to click the Next button after that Previous button. All Unfollow buttons worked here correctly.
Also, if you go to any specific followed series page, it will show the follow button instead of the Following button. Also will not work correctly and give (409 Conflict).
Worked normally for unfollowed series.
I have an extension to the "follow button" problem.
I see everything that the two previous posts have shown, but strangely, pressing the apparently nonfunctional follow button still adds the series in question to the users RSS feed.
Thanks for all the reports on the Follow feature! We are investigating and will post an update when possible.
the manga reader seems to really hate my ipad mini on ios 15. Trying to read campfire cooking manga makes safari go into a reload loop and eventually crash with a message about too many errors. The same thing happens with Full Clearing manga. The LN reader seems fine. The loop happens with Firefox 37 as well.
The loop in Safari or FF can also crash my ipad making it difficult to test.
My iphone se with ios 15 doesn't go into this loop. I can load up Campfire Cooking and Full Clearing manga in Safari, go page-to-page and vertical scroll.
The crash loop manga reader is still there on ipad mini 5th gen on ios 15.0.1 with Firefox 38.0 and Safari. I have more time to test things out this time. The tests below is using Faraway Paladin manga.
This is with FF:
- ipad in portrait mode when the page loads (single page, side page advance): the loop appears.
- ipad in landscape mode when page loads (double page, side page advance): no loop! but tiny images make my eyes bleed...
- ipad in landscape on page load, switch to single page (still side page advance): no loop.
- ipad in landscape on page load, switch to single page, turn ipad to portrait mode: no loop.. for 5 - 6 pages, then crash.
- ipad in landscape on page load, turn ipad to portrait mode (reader automatically goes from double page landscape to single page portrait): no loop through end of chapter. I tried this with another chapter, so there shouldn't be any pages in history.
Using Safari, I get similar results as FF above, except the "switch to portrait" trick does not seem as reliable. I went through 2 chapters in FF without problems, but crashed first of 2 on safari. The safari crash was hard (restarted ipad), so maybe something in memory was cleared out letting the 2nd run complete.
As before, iphone se on 15.0.1 does not seem to have this crash, but I did not test as much due to the tiny screen.