The Pharmacist's Monologue

• Premium Member

The Pharmacist's Monologue/Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
    Publisher: Shufunotomosha (Hero Bunko)

Synopsis
    In the imperial court, a young woman is put into servitude, Maomao. The tale is just beginning for the woman doctor/pharmacist from the red-light district, as rumors circulate about the emperor's children's lives being short-lived. Her curious nature and thirst for knowledge pushes her to action. To satisfy her curiosity, this young doctor/pharmacist will investigate the origin! What is shifting in the imperial court..!?

Source: novelupdates
    LNDB

alt text

I really want this translated for multiple reasons: it's not an isekai, it has a female protagonist, it's a mystery series, and because it has a historical setting (which we don't have a lot of in English). Since I'm never gonna get the Saiunkoku Monogatari novels over here, this is the next best thing. It doesn't seem like any of this publisher's series have been licensed over here by anyone yet, though.

Here's an excerpt from the fan translation:

"Maomao received the laundry from the room next door and went back to the washing area.

There was still a lot of work left.
    It wasn’t that she liked it. She planned to work for her pay.

Diligent by nature, that was the former pharmacist Maomao.

She could eventually leave if she worked obediently.
    By no means would she be chosen as a mistress. It was impossible.

It was regrettable that it could be said that Maomao’s thoughts were too optimistic.
    No one knows what will happen. That is life.

She possessed farsighted thinking for a seventeen-year-old girl. Even so, she had something that couldn’t be restrained.

Curiosity and the thirst for knowledge.

And, a little sense of justice.

In a couple of days, Maomao will be exposed to the certain strange truth.

The serial deaths of the infants born from the Inner Palace.
    It was called the Previous Concubine’s Curse. For Maomao, it was bizarre, but a trifling thing to her."

• Premium Member

This looks like one I’d love to see translated too. Imperial court medical mystery? Sounds great!

• Throwing in my support for Kusuriya. It's such a fun series with quite the eccentric protagonist.

• Ah, KnH! Its such a fun novel :3 I love this series and the protagonist. She is such a strong female lead~

• Premium Member

It's also NOT an isekai or a scifi/fantasy story, making it a different genre from most books on JNC, which is good for diversifying.